Default Cheese Grater Handguard for AK Type Rifles

If you own an AK with traditional wood furniture you probably know how hot they can get in sustained fire. Shooting an AK in any sustained fire mode can result in them becoming uncomfortably hot in the hanguard/forend area. This is undoubtedly due to the close fitting of the stock and handguard. You may have seen those videos of people actually deliberately setting their wood AK furniture on fire deliberately in multiple high capacity (very high capacity) magazine dumps.

I had heard that a "cheese grater" handguard could pretty much solve this problem but I'd also heard it would make no difference. Well I bit the bullet and had one installed and I must say I as impressed with the results. After letting the wife-cakes put most of a box of Wolf through it took it to the 200 yard range to verify zero with some high quality Hornaday SST. It was dead on. Then to the 200 yard plate section. I shot off 40 rounds, not exactly rapid fire but in pretty snappy fashion regularly making those plates ring. By the end smoke from lubricant was curling up from the stock. Well, long story short the new "cheese grater" handguard was barely warm to the touch and the wood fore end was noticibley cooler than times in the past when I did similar drills.

One brief addition, the old wood handguard showed charring around the edges of the wood, yeah they get hot. Probably one of reasons the Rooskies went to polymer furniture on later AK 47s and the AK 74.
    Last edited by Art; 03-12-2024 at 11:56.

Some M14's had the ventilated handguard as well as some aftermarket M1 carbines though on the carbines it was probably just a cheaper way to produce them.

I believe M60's have a bakelite handguard and they get hot too. Lights off around 2 1/2 minutes. No way to treat an M60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8rHKGkaOQk
    Last edited by Allen; 03-12-2024 at 02:11.

Blog Entries

We'll never know, but I wonder how many of our guys may have been saved by VC undisciplined ambush mag dumps at our troops.
    Last edited by PWC; 03-12-2024 at 06:38.

Where to purchase one?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Where to purchase one?
    Palmetto

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...andguard4.html

GB has some similar priced from $60 to $800. I don't get it.