Default Asking for opinions

Looking at a Sig Sauer Scope. Options available is either of 1st or 2nd focal plane. Surprisingly the 1st FP is $80 more. What FP did you get and are you satisfied with you choice. Would be using this on an AR15 for Service Matches, XTC.

Thanks to all that replied.

John
    Last edited by JohnMOhio; 03-10-2024 at 09:37.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

In the first focal plane the crosshairs are in the front of the scope, and in the second focal plane in the rear of the scope.

For target shooting the first focal plane is suppose to be the best. For hunting the second focal plane is preferred as the crosshair size stays the same size (image gets larger but crosshairs don't) when the scope is zoomed. The first focal plane is in the front of the scope and crosshairs stay the same size in relation to the target (gets larger) where the second focal plane doesn't. If the scope has hash marks for range estimation, they remain the same with first focal plane but change in size with the second focal plane.

For just informal shooting I prefer the second focal plane.

Forgot to add, but the first focal plane is more expensive to manufacture as the reticle is sandwiched in the lens in the front of the scope, while the second focal plane is in the back of the scope.
    Last edited by Johnny P; 03-10-2024 at 07:39.

Thanks Johnny. From what I managed to learn is that most of the XTC shooters use the first focal plane. Most of them do not have a Sig scope. Managed to get this from a Facebook crowd. My understanding all this time was that Sig was a very good scope. However, many on the line have White Oak, Night Force, Vortex, March, Hi Lux and a couple more brand names.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

The Sig branding seems to be more or less aimed at the airgun crowd. The scope line is a simple 3rd party re-branding of low to mid quality chinese optics. Not a lot out there about this line, and from what I've seen, a bit on the pricey side (for what they are).

Regards,

Doc Sharptail