Thread: Atomic Time

Default Atomic Time

Probably old stuff for most of you. If any of you don't know what atomic time is it's a radio signal sent out to receiving clocks. The signal is sent out usually between midnight and 2:00am. The signal being the correct time. Atomic clocks are no different in appearance than any other clocks and can be analytical or digital. They can lose or gain a little time each day but are corrected when they receive the signal around midnight.

If you have a clock that is in a hard to reach location and are tired of having to re-set the time or correct if for daylight savings time consider an atomic clock.

I got my wife a small digital model (Sharp) about 3 years ago. It sits on the end table beside her recliner that she spends a lot of time in. It also list the inside temp, date and day of the week. It never needs any re-setting.

We have another one above our stove in the kitchen which is hard to get to. Hung it up about 2 years ago and recently changed the battery. That's it--all I've ever done with it.

Out of the box, after installing the battery, you will need to set the time zone you live in and whether or not you are on daylight savings time. The hands may at that time take off hunting for the latest time signal, maybe not, but it won't be accurate till midnight and there after.

These are available thru WM (we buy from WM on-line due to better selection than in the store) but can be bought from ebay or most anywhere else. Cost is only slightly more than traditional clocks.

Anything to add?

2. Default

My boss bought one for his office.
    He waved it in everyone's face as his symbol of superiority.
    Then it didn't keep time for diddly.
    Turned out our mostly metal building was a giant "Faraday Cage", blocking the signal from Colorado IIRC?
    Turns out they are actually poor time keepers without the daily updates, because when you only have to maintain time for 24 hours pretty much anything can do that.

My old Atomic clock finally gave up, and glad to see it go. It would not change during daylight savings time, and you had a procedure to make it change which usually took several tries to get it to work. Looking for a new one to replace it, as I got use to seeing the correct time.

4. Default

I had a wrist watch that did the atomic clock at midnight thing. It was actually very good till I started doing a "C" shift in the same building as the previously mentioned boss. I went back to my Casio G shock when working nights & left the the solar 'Eco" Pathfinder at home where it got the signal!

5. Default

Hi, I have three atomic clocks. One is a kitchen wall clock. One is a weather station. One is a wrist watch. They all work flawlessly and the watch charges itself with light. I would buy all again, regards,Mike

6. Default

Sounds like my "Pathfinder"?