Default My ersatz ?carbine?

IMG_0671.jpgIMG_0675.jpgIMG_0680.jpgIMG_0678.jpgIMG_0684.jpg

Just wanted to share my ?carbine? that was gifted to me by my uncle . . . .

I know it has NO historical value now, but I?m well pleased with it!

The stock is an original 1899 carbine stock, the barrel is a 22? six-groove Douglas, the rear sight is an early Western (Redfield ancestor) front sight an ?03.

I made the insert for the magazine cutoff because the rims of the cartridges in the magazine would catch in the receiver . . . .this fix prevents that.

Damn query marks . . .instead of quotes and apostrophies!

WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED!!
    Last edited by JimF; 02-23-2024 at 01:25.

This handgard was my uncle’s addition . . .

.IMG_0682.jpgIMG_0681.jpg

Superb rifle! Wonderful to have one that belonged to your uncle. He did excellent work. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Thanks Bruce . . . . .

Yeah . . . .it is a lasting memory since Uncle Jim passed.

He and I did a lot of shooting together . . . .on a rifle team and shooting many, many rounds of trap.

When he bought the carbine, it had no handguard . . . . .

So . . . he bought a relic-grade handguard from Numrich (New York) just to get the metal bits.

He was a very skilled woodworker, so making the wood guard was no problem . . . .

He very carefully removed the metal from the relic . . .INCLUDING the four rivets . . . .and installed them on this guard.

It's one thing to replicate a handguard. But to remove those four rivets! Wow! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

That is a good hunting rifle there - and a Douglas barrel! What is the twist on it? Will it stabilize the long 220 gr RN bullet? (That you can hardly get anymore?). What you show there and sling swivels and it is perfect. Hang onto that one and pass it down to family.

jn

Jon . . . .

I will not be adding swivels . . . .stock is far too valuable for that.

In fact, the stock is the ONLY part that is original to the carbine!

Just sayin - my first Krag was an 1895 carbine that had swivels instead of the lanyard ring - near as I can tell they were either an arsenal or field modification, probably for use by artillery or engineers. It also had the 1901 sight. But if you have original wood I would agree - don't butcher it.

Yes, Jon . . . .
    That M1901 rear sight is the best of the many sights as placed on the Krag.
    I have the M1902 sight (with the Sargents’ peep) that I do NOT like nearly as well as the M1901.

10. Default

Very nice wood. Handguard is a plus!