Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A captured Russian plane?

At our small commuter airport, I was watching planes/helocopters take off/land, etc. Out of the blue lands a sleek single engine jet plane. It taxies over to a large hangar and gets refueled then backed into the hanger. The plane was in camoflage colors with a big red star on its dorsel fin. I talked to the pilot and in a nutshell this is what he said: He was taking this plane to the West Coast and stopped here to refuel and rest. The plane came from Ukraine and was a captured Russian plane. During the plane's journey the engine had to be replaced because the Russian engine was not dependable. The plane was gone the next day. I downloaded from my cell phone photos of this plane. I sent photos to my F.I.L in S. CA. He got them. I have tried to post those photos here to no avail, but I will keep trying.

2. Default

If you get stuck PM me & I'll give you an e-mail.
    e mail it to me & I'll get it sorted & posted for you.
    Stuff like this happens occasionally.
    I have night-shots of a cold war era Shenyang being towed down a road in Suffolk Co, NY between 2 Grumman facilities.

I have a pic of two Polish MigS in line with an American jet. You know, NATO.
    It's a great shot. I'll look it up. -it could take a while.
    Some guys spent some money to try them out. All the electronics had to be replaced.
    Last edited by dryheat; 02-20-2024 at 11:00.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

4. Default

I remember the one where the guy bought a SU27 IIRC.
    He went to the factory for the (included in the purchase price) training & was shocked to discover it was fully loaded!
    The Russians were surprised as he'd paid for the whole enchilada & so that's what they were giving him!
    I was surprised the U.S. wouldn't allow import of the electronics & so on. I could understand the weps package, but the E- suite would have been a major intelligence coup.At least to my mind.

Back in the 1960s the US received a Egyptian MIG 21 captured by the Israelis. It was totally torn down studied and reassembled.

It was wrung out and our guys practiced and learned the MIG 21 weaknesses. One of the the questions was why does the F4 Phantom smoked!

The surprise was the MIG started to smoke after several flights. The answer... the commies used better fuel!

That was a top secret back in the day.

6. Default

also water injection to cool turbine blades.

Explain. I am not familiar with a water injection that stopped the smoking of F-4s. We did have a chemical that injected into the engines would reduce the smoke. The problem was that chemical was so toxic that just two drops on bare skin was fatal!

Could it be this "captured" Russian plane will be used in USN fleet adversarial flight operations (i.e. air combat maneuvering/dogfight training) such as is done at TopGun at NAS Fallon, Nevada?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_...lopment_Center

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Explain. I am not familiar with a water injection that stopped the smoking of F-4s. We did have a chemical that injected into the engines would reduce the smoke. The problem was that chemical was so toxic that just two drops on bare skin was fatal!
    https://theaviationgeekclub.com/no-i...g-21-fighters/

Exactly. When I was in the program what was called Navy Fighter School at NAS Miramar.

Change the - will be used... to WAS used to develop tactics to defeat the MIG-21 and that was the basis forthe Top Gun school.

There was no Top Gun! Every pilot and his RIO that attended the training were not graded. It was not a contest, it was training .