Thread: Price of powder

Default Price of powder

Interesting experience yesterday. After purchasing a pound of IMR 4064 I took it down to my reloading bench and while there I noticed some of my stash and found two of them still had the stickers on them indicting the price. IMR 3031 was $17.99 and one can of IMR 4064 was $18.99. They were still sealed and unopened. The IMR 4064 that I purchased yesterday was $61.99 plus tax for a one pound container. However, that is not what I paid. I only paid $16.95. I was given a debit card for $50 for participating in a cancer researching test at the lab in the same building I had an appointment to see my urologist. Without the card the total price would have been $66.95. Are you fellows finding the price that high in your area? This is crazy!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Yes indeed. Prices on everything have moved into the stratosphere. Wonder what the minimum wage was when you paid 17.99 for a pound of powder. It's tough to take all these changes in stride, but I am afraid that choices are limited. At least most powders are available all be it pricey. Whatta Hobby!

I think that $61.99 is a going rate now depending upon brand and type.

The problem I see with powder is there is none available at any price. Even GB has very limited powders for sale compared to a couple of years ago when it was already high in price.

When I say none available I mean none that anyone uses or wants. The sought after powders?---forget it.

Same story with primers. When you can find them they run around $150-$200 per 1000.

I enjoyed reloading for a while. I just recently went through the cabinet and found a little powder still here. I'll use it up and then that's it.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I just wonder if our manufacturers here are filling US government orders. Especially if those orders are being sent out to Ukraine. Meanwhile our US stockpile, like our oil stockpile is dwindling and that is causing the price increases more than anything else. Then again, we have the cost of fuel for trucks delivering everything we consume including imported goods.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

6. Default

Farm and ranch mid-box has BLC-2 $33 and 335 for two or three more. They have two dozen stores across the west, so they're buying direct w/o hazmat.
    But Alliant is up there.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 03-04-2024 at 05:04.

@ Thanksgiving I started loading 5.56 with WC844 24.5 grains behind a 55 fmj in once fired brass. I bought a bunch of powder from Jeff just before the "Troubles" hit America. So far I have used ten pounds of the powder. Price, I paid was $16.00 and change delivered. Looking back I wish now I had doubled my order! Hodgdon will now let one buy direct from them, when they have the powder in stock. Talked to Jeff on Friday and the outlook for powder is bleak and Jeff ought to know.
    Sam