Default Captured 1873 carbines ??

These are three early model 1873 carbines all appear to have been captured by native Americans. The first one was sold at auction as a Indian captured 7th cavalry carbine sn 21577.

The second one pictured is in the 17k range cant remember the exact number but seen on a forum.

The third is in the high 20k range has signs of indian usage and only a few numbers away from a documented carbine turned in by a native american that fought against the 7th at the battle of lbh. All three have the same hole right above the trigger in same spot in the wood as seen in all three picture. Has anyone seen this before? or have an explanation for this. Thank you.

thumbnail.jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (1).jpg
    Last edited by mr.j; 02-07-2024 at 09:25.

I have seen it mentioned before, but cannot recall where or when. Never saw an answer, and for the life of me cannot see what purpose it would serve. I'd also note that the holes are not IDENTICAL, only very similar. Two thoughts come to mind, some sort of safety, or an attempt at a set trigger - but neither makes ANY sense at all.

Update: Flash thought - since the examples are all captures, could the hole be a way of pinning the trigger so as to be at least temporarily unusable? Far-fetched indeed, but the whole concept is goofy from the git-go.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-08-2024 at 08:18.

Thanks for the reply, I seen one on youtube with the so called set trigger screw (and had a screw) I was the one that told you about that one on youtube but the sn could not be made out. Have you seen any before that one if you can recall? or on any other rifle of that era? I sent you the sn of the last one pictured that I own while back. The set trigger possibility was also mentioned on trapdoor collector site where i also posted this question. Hard to tell if there was ever a screw in mine since hole is filled in with dry dirt.

Was a screw placed in the stock when they where turned in to keep them from firing since they were deemed unsafe and still needed to be stored for future research or maybe done at an Indian agency for the purpose of a "poor mans set trigger" . I guess many possibilities.

As long its not a sigh of being a faked stock made on some sophisticated machine that can spin out 1873 stocks every five minutes im happy.
    Last edited by mr.j; 02-10-2024 at 07:03.

Look in the new series of Sharps books. There are military single trigger rifles sent to western dealers with a hole in the same area. It could still reach the sear as there is no way in a photograph to determine the angle of the hole. You would have to buy one of the carbines or rifles to find out if this is the case.