Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Nitrogen for execution

Today will be a turning point I feel for all (U.S.) future executions.

Alabama will execute the first (U.S.) inmate today/tonight with nitrogen. The critics (who are against ALL executions) claim it is unproven. Yeah, the system used today can be blotched due to human error but nitrogen does kill people.

Working in industrial sites I have vast experience with N2. Since it is an inert gas it is used to clean up equipment and vessels for maintenance work and welding. It is hard piped as a handy supply just like tool air for air tools. Many workers in confined spaces mistakenly attach their air tools to N2 instead of O2. The tools exhaust the N2 and soon the air they breath is composed of too much of it. They pass out and suffocate not knowing any different. Rescue people often die under the same circumstances not knowing of the N2 content.

It is THAT undetectable, odorless, colorless, and already the most abundant element we breath @ 78%. Air under normal conditions is slightly less than 21% oxygen,

Unless there is some kind of human screwup or some lone judge ruling against it I feel after today we can say goodbye to "Ol Sparky" and injections. I think most elec chairs are already museum artifacts.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-i...171433122.html

Sounds like it will work very well. Of course, CO2 is, IIRC, colorless, odorless, tasteless, etc. and of course universally toxic for mammals including human beings. Got to wonder just exactly why it is not used to kill convicts sentenced to execution. Simply put them to sleep, switch over to CO2 and let them go. Still think gas chamber, electric chair, hanging, etc. are not problematic. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Sounds like it will work very well. Of course, CO2 is, IIRC, colorless, odorless, tasteless, etc. and of course universally toxic for mammals including human beings. Got to wonder just exactly why it is not used to kill convicts sentenced to execution. Simply put them to sleep, switch over to CO2 and let them go. Still think gas chamber, electric chair, hanging, etc. are not problematic. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    I donno. Perhaps it is because CO2 isn't available already bottled up like N2 that I know of. Still, an inmate could be put in an airtight small room or fixture and he would just breath himself to death.

A lot of work and expense goes into the comforts of the guilty, though the guilty had no concerns over the innocent victims.

I agree with you Allen, a lot of expense to comfort the guilty. On the other hand, when "we" sentence someone to death, considering what the victims may have gone through, are we in society seeking justice or revenge? If seeking justice we may try to be civilized. When seeking revenge the sentence of death could/should be the same method used by the guilty party. Now we have another problem. What if the convicted person is actually innocent? What if the person on trial gets a not guilty verdict and is really innocent. Where does that person get justice? A self defense shooting as an example. Just some thoughts for now.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMOhio View Post
    I agree with you Allen, a lot of expense to comfort the guilty. On the other hand, when "we" sentence someone to death, considering what the victims may have gone through, are we in society seeking justice or revenge? If seeking justice we may try to be civilized. When seeking revenge the sentence of death could/should be the same method used by the guilty party. Now we have another problem. What if the convicted person is actually innocent? What if the person on trial gets a not guilty verdict and is really innocent. Where does that person get justice? A self defense shooting as an example. Just some thoughts for now.
    Oh I agree. Is it justice or revenge?

Victims never truly get justice and revenge doesn't actually help anyone. I feel prisons should at least be as uncomfortable as I had it in grade school though. NO A/C, little heat, NO ventilation, NO window screens, NO contact with the outside world at all.

If paroles ended and time off for good behavior were ended along with school life conditions mentioned above, many people would not commit crimes or want to get caught a 2nd time. Instead the jails are overflowing with many just getting a slap on the wrist. It is a game for so many to see how much they can get away with and if arrested then no big deal, they'll get a little rest and be released to go at it again.

6. Default

Its called suffocation.
    Just saying.

It's over.

What I know about N2 is that if I had to be executed and had a choice. This is the way I would prefer.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-s...053007615.html

The problem is that the death penalty, electrically, hanging, shooting, or any thing else should be quick. 30 years after the crime the guilty party being is in no way or fashion is the same person that did the crime.

Think back, have you changed any in the past 25-30 years? If you are convicted of a crime, your punishment should be quick. Take the SOB and throw him out of a 30 story building within 3-5 years of the crime.

Leaving him waiting decades for punishment is torture. The victim was not tortured for decades.
    Last edited by RED; 01-25-2024 at 09:12.

Blog Entries

plenty of bottled CO2, isnt that still used to carbonate beverages?

a nitro pushed Guiness is a fine thing,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    plenty of bottled CO2, isnt that still used to carbonate beverages?

a nitro pushed Guiness is a fine thing,
    Safe O2 levels fall between 19.5% to 23.5%. Anything that pushes the oxygen beyond those levels can or will kill you. It depends upon how far and how long. Maybe using CO2 has some side effects like nausea or something? I donno why it isn't considered.