Default Sellier & Bellot Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 40 Grain Lead no longer available?

Back to talking about guns.

Apparently Sellier & Bellot Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 40 Grain Lead Round Nose is off the market. People like Bass Pro Shops, Midway Arms, and others say it is no longer available. I still have a bit over 200 rounds and like it a lot. Its dirty but also works the action of my S&W .22S pistol and my CMMG Lance .22LR upper. I tried CCI quite but its velocity is around 760fps while the S&B is a bit over 1,000 fps.

My order for the Dead Air Mast .22 suppressor is paid and in the waiting line. Hopefully I will be able to shoot faster velocity ammo quietly.

Blog Entries

S&B still has it on thier website, but Midway says disco, (guessing not just at Midway like you said)

CCI subsonic is at 1040 according to the website, maybe try that,

or just the standard

3. Default

I've fired CCI standard velocity out of my SMLE with the .22 adapter. Mind you its a much longer barrel than any pistol.
    The sound of the bullet impact on the 5-ply target backer was louder than the muzzle report.
    I rad it as 22dB above ambient!

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post

CCI subsonic is at 1040 according to the website,

My favorite small game load in the h/p version. Sometimes not quite enough oomph to cycle a factory 10-22 action and buffer. Real life velocity is about 940-960 out of a 24" bbl. Very accurate.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 01-22-2024 at 06:41.

Years ago I bought a case of Aguila Super Extra target ammunition from the CMP. That's a lot of ammo and though I've shot a lot of it I've still got a lot left. It's pretty accurate, I get really nice groups with it through My Mossberg 44 US. On paper it's supposed to be about 1080 fps but I doubt it, it had trouble cycling a High Standard Supermatic I shot it through, of course that was just one pistol. There is a definate lag between the report of the rifle and the "thwack" of the bullet hitting the backer at 50 yards. It's about like Phloating Plhasher's results with the CCI standard velocity, very quiet. Too bad CCI discontinued Green Tag. That was great stuff and just about every .22 liked it.
    Last edited by Art; 01-23-2024 at 08:18.

I buy and shoot CCI 22 CB/Short. Advertised at 710fps. While not as good as what you guys are speaking of it is usually available at WM for around $13 per box of 100. Very quiet, plenty strong and accurate but probably won't function in most semi's.

I shoot mine in 22 revolvers and bolt, pump, or lever action long guns so no concern for me.