• AR 15 type rifle

2 8.00%
  • Shotgun

14 56.00%
  • AK type rifle

1 4.00%
  • Pistol Caliber Carbine

1 4.00%
  • Vintage military rifle - M1, M1 Carbine, SKS, FN 49 etc.

7 28.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    I don't know! The only c/f rifle I have that is short enough to maneuver in here is my FR-8, and that's still pushing it on length.
    Odd that the compact stoner variants aren't mentioned (yet).
    About the only thing I have in here short enough for a 360 degree swing is my 94-22-M.
    I think it's favorite 50 gr. JHP would speak with authority at the very limited ranges in here.
    So I didn't cast a vote, just based on not really having a category that fits me.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    I think your Model 94-22 would fit in the pistol caliber carbine category. Those are fine rifles by the way. I sort of regret not having bought one when they were available.

2. Default

mak 90

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    That's mine also, my nightstand gun is a S&W Model 27-2 Highway Patrolman.
    Art, I think you really meant to say that your Smith & Wesson Highway Patrolman is a Model 28-2 vs a Model 27-2. Notwithstanding, a Smith N-frame is always a good choice.

The weapon you use for defence depends on what
    you're defending against. If it's night and I'm
    in bed it's whatever is under the pillow. I'd be in
    a fix here as under my pillow right now is a 22.
    If it's daytime and I see him or them coming, it's
    the 12 gauge with 8 in the tube and one chambered.
    If it's a whole gang armed to the teeth, It's running shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Art, I think you really meant to say that your Smith & Wesson Highway Patrolman is a Model 28-2 vs a Model 27-2. Notwithstanding, a Smith N-frame is always a good choice.
    +1

Model 27 has a checkered top strap and barrel (polished blue or nickel). Model 28 (Highway Patrolman) has a dull matt blue finish. Model 27's usually come with the "3 T's".

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    +1

Model 27 has a checkered top strap and barrel (polished blue or nickel). Model 28 (Highway Patrolman) has a dull matt blue finish. Model 27's usually come with the "3 T's".
    You are correct.

I've owned both. I've been finding new homes for some of my guns and sold the Model 27-2 to the husband of a cousin of mine a couple of years ago. My model 28-2 nightstand gun is a surplus Texas highway patrol revolver. It might not be as pretty as the Model 27, and it had an active life with the honorable scars to prove it, before I got it, but it shoots just as well, maybe better than the the Model 27 I had which is pictured below. The grips are S&W replacements since the oversize grips the Model 27 had didn't fit my hand well. It's a sweet, sweet gun. I was especially pleased to get it with a 5" barrel. The target was shot at 10 yards double action with Remington .357 Magnum 125 gr. semi jacketed hollow points, my self defense load of choice.

It doesn't take much to get me running on about the big Smiths.

CIMG0963.jpg
    Last edited by Art; 01-20-2024 at 08:58.

It doesn't take much to get me running on about the big Smiths.
    Nor me as I just proved.

I've got a 29 blued (6 1/2") and a 629 Classic SS (6"). My brother has 2 28's (6") and his prior duty gun, a 57 (4" nickel).

Nice gun by the way. Looks like you kept the target hammer and trigger on it.

Nor me as I just proved.

I've got a 29 blued (6 1/2") and a 629 Classic SS (6"). My brother has 2 28's (6") and his prior duty gun, a 57 (4" nickel).

Nice gun by the way. Looks like you kept the target hammer and trigger on it.
    Yep, I didn't want to alter the gun. The target trigger doesn't make it as nice to shoot double action but that wasn't the idea. Skeeter Skelton once said that he thought the 5" barreled Model 27 was the most balanced and attractive revolver ever made. I think he had something there. When I discovered the gun was a 5" it definately sweetened the pot for me. The revolver came in the original mahogany presentation case with all the tools and papers. The original owner had only put five rounds through it in the almost 30 years he owned it, not unusual with these guns. The fellow I sold it to got the grips on the gun, the original grips and the Threepersons holster I had El Paso Saddelry make for it.

Note on the poll, I'm not real surprised with the results so far considering the membership here but I am surprised that not one AR platform rifle has shown up. Shotguns seem to rule the day with these fellows, which is not too surprising.
    Last edited by Art; 01-21-2024 at 05:11.

Note on the poll, I'm not real surprised with the results so far considering the membership here but I am surprised that not one AR platform rifle has shown up. Shotguns seem to rule the day with these fellows, which is not too surprising.
    Not everyone can log on or navigate. Some don't seem to be visiting due to the website problems we're having now.

AR's are popular guns. I have a couple of M-4's but it is the last gun I would keep by my nightstand. Penetration going through the walls into other areas is one problem. The main issue for me would be there simply isn't much coming out the end of the barrel. A 22 cal 55 grain spire point bullet that cannot expand or a HP that won't expand. A person can be shot by such and not even know they were hit.

Not everyone can log on or navigate. Some don't seem to be visiting due to the website problems we're having now.
    I understand about the website issues. Every now and then it goes all wonky on me and I won't be able to get in for a few days, sometimes a week or more.