Thread: Land Line

Default Land Line

Anyone still using a land line? Have been with AT&T forever without a late payment fee, but within the last year have had several late payment fees from not having time to return payment. December statement came December 29 with a due date of December 31. Just another way to get an extra $10. We like having the land line, and looking for new carrier. Anyone have good experience with other carriers?

Blog Entries

We have a land line; what are you going to do when the cell phone dies or tower service goes out. Land line is powered from central ofc.

Used to have ATT but kept raising $$. Got Century link bundled with TV and the net now, and yes bill to due is short; everyone wants you to use your credit card, and even auto pay. I won't let anyone have access to my credit cards.

3. Default

Still have my primary in town, not sure about keeping the one at the cabin. Alarm system runs over the LL and that's less than another cell I think. Cell service at the cabin is iffy but so is the LL; frequently down. Yeah, time to cut back.

I have a dedicated low limit CC for my revolving accounts.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 01-17-2024 at 01:49.

We have a landline for two reasons:

1 - During natural disasters which here means hurricanes it will usually work when cell systems fail.

2 - If you use a landline to call 911 the address where your landline phone is located instantly appears on the screen at the officers desk saving possibly an extra minute or two.

5. Default

Ours is part & parcel of our cable service.

Sounds like Sears during their end times. They would encourage all these great deals on low interest rates if you used their CC, Then they would charge you an extra $20 each month for "late charges" even though your check had cleared the bank before the CC due date.

I still have a land line. It is from a Mickey Mouse phone company. For years the company was locally owned. Service was horrible but all we could get. Then they sold out to Century Link (sucks), then they sold out to "Brightspeed" or WTF (sucks more).

I have a landline for one reason and one reason only: WIFE. We get almost free long distance calling and our DSL for our computer is included. Cost was near $100 a month. Now it runs lower at about $70-$80 per month. Again, we have no choice here. Our cell phones are with Verizon I believe. Cable is thru Direct TV/ satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    We have a land line; what are you going to do when the cell phone dies or tower service goes out. Land line is powered from central ofc.

Used to have ATT but kept raising $$. Got Century link bundled with TV and the net now, and yes bill to due is short; everyone wants you to use your credit card, and even auto pay. I won't let anyone have access to my credit cards.
    When our power goes out, land line goes out along with Dish. Land line signal comes off cell tower nearby. Cell tower has huge generator, but never seems to be used.

Years ago I dumped my landline and got a Magic Jack
    Around $39 a year, local and long distance OK, but not overseas.
    Works just fine off the computer. Takes messages etc.
    I don'r have or want a mobile (no signal at home anyway).