by something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    Smart Cars are great for nipping around town and parking,
    but they don't look very survivable should you get hit
    by something bigger.
    Which would be most anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    As an aside, once while traveling in Texas at 75-80 mph, a little red Smart car passed us not going slowly. My wife and I laughed as it pulled out of sight. Didn't know something that looked like it belonged on the sidewalk could go that fast.
    It may have been on "rinse" cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If the Volt was still around it would probably be there. Batt tech has improved since then and I feel the batt capacity on the Volt was minimal to reduce weight/increase mpg. It seems more thoughts were put into this end of it instead of a total batt powered car.

The main thing that killed the Volt was the price. They were over $70K when introduced. Over time the price with the gov't (tax payers) incentives drove the price to near half of that but still too much vs the return on savings.

With a setup like the Volt though if you were traveling and needed a re-charge you wouldn't be forced to wait in long lines--just drive till you found a suitable charging station or fill the gen with gasoline.
    The technology is still around and most if not all car companies now make "plug in hybrids." There is, of course, a premium. Toyota makes a plug in hybrid variant of their RAV 4 crossover small SUV. Its electric range is 42 miles which is on the high end for current cars with this technology. It will cost about $39,000.00 compared to about $33,000.00 for a conventional RAV 4 powered by the traditional internal combustion engine technology. Toyota also makes a plug in hybrid model of the Prius with the same electric range as the RAV 4 but it comes in as the surprisingly high price of $42,000.00 compared to about $29,000 for the standard hybrid model .
    Last edited by Art; 01-18-2024 at 02:08.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The people pushing them sure didn't look happy.
    I assume you don't mean the ones in the dealership trying to get you to buy, but rather the ones behind the discharged battery car...