Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

In SAC, you either were up to snuff or you got fired and replaced. The big thing was an unannounced Operational Readiness Inspection. The inspection team covered everything from paperwork to aircraft launching and simulated bomb runs. And of course these bomb runs were scored for accuracy.
    We once had one of those in the RAF back in the day of "4-minute Warnings", but from a Ministry Stuffed Shirt.
    He wanted the entire (photo-reconnaissance/ air cartography) unit airborne in 10 minutes! NO EXCUSES!
    PR-7 Canberras use the RR Avon RA-7, they do not warm up from cold well. Or quickly. There's a bug on the gauges till that 90Wt oil gets to temp & pressure "no sudden, large, or full throttle inputs".
    We made maps & took pictures, obviously Full Squadron QRA "Scrambles" weren't part of our expected repertoire.
    I SAID NO EXCUSES.
    OK, , , boss. (note pause).
    We warmed them up (as best we could) while taxiing (against QR).
    We, the unit, lost one engine permanently & damaged 4 others. The one that lost the engine lost it on takeoff. The exercise was cancelled by someone wearing scrambled way above out pay grade & we never did another one. Fully half the unit was down for maintenance.
    We never saw or heard from The Shirt ever again.
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 01-21-2024 at 01:51.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Compare and contrast this with the American woman connected to the US embassy in London. She was at a function at a US base, pulled out onto the public road and killed an English boy on his motorcycle. No breath test or anything. Laws for thee not me.
    Diplomatic immunity, I suspect.....

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Diplomatic immunity, I suspect.....
    Yes, plus she fled back to USA