1. Default 1903 Remington modified questions.

Hi All and Happy New Year! I have a Model 1903 Remington modified, # 32660xx, barrel RA-flaming bomb-10-42. It is a bit of a mixmaster but it does have the correct stock and handguard.I am looking to restore it but I am uncertain about the evolution of milled to stamped parts used by Remington since this rifle is getting toward the transition to the 03-A3. Should the triggerguard, lower sling swivel,buttplate,middle band be stamped or milled? Also, the bolt has the recess around the safety lug that is normally associated with the 03A3. Is it possible for it to be correct for this rifle or is it a replacement? Thanks!

Answers are as follows:

Triggerguard - either milled or stamped, it falls in the transition range.
    Lower sling swivel - milled
    Buttplate - stamped
    Lower Band - stamped
    Lower Band Retaining Spring - stamped
    Upper Band - milled

Undercutting around the bolt safety lug is correct.

Happy New Year!

J.B.

There are early stamped parts, and later stamped parts. Your rifle should be fitted with early stamped parts.

3. Default John

Thank You, John. I have another Remington 03 in the 3111xxx range with a 5-42 barrel. Should all of the parts be milled? Should the stock not have grasping grooves. Did Remington mark their milled parts with an R? Lastly, why does the forum look like this now? I used to come on here a couple of years ago and it had a really nice layout. Now it looks like a website from 1995. Anyway, thanks again! Phil

All parts on your Remington M1903 rifle, S/N 3111xxx, should be milled and not stamped. And the stock should not have grasping grooves. All Remington milled parts were marked with an "R". And I have no explanation for why the forum looks like this. But I have no issue with it either.

J.B.

5. Default

Was the barrel/receiver parkerized and all other parts blued?

No. The barreled receiver, buttplate, trigger guard, floorplate, and upper band were parkerized. The butt swivel and lower band were blackened. The remaining parts were blued.

J.B.

7. Default

John
    Will add this information to my Remington 1903 notebook, Are we ever going to see a book by you on this rifle?

- - - Updated - - -

John
    One question if you wouldn?t mind. Can you tell me which firing pin rod is correct for a rod bayonet 1903 Springfield?
    Thanks
    Mike Raborn

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    John
    Will add this information to my Remington 1903 notebook, Are we ever going to see a book by you on this rifle?

- - - Updated - - -

John
    One question if you wouldn?t mind. Can you tell me which firing pin rod is correct for a rod bayonet 1903 Springfield?
    Thanks
    Mike Raborn
    Thanks for your interest and inquiry!

I am no longer pursuing a book on the M1903 rifles. I hope, however, to post a very informative website at some point in the future. I have a ton of data bases and data sheets and would like to make them available to the public.

The correct firing pin rod for a rod bayonet rifle should have a knurled knob and a single wide notch for the safety lock. I see these rods occasionally on Bannerman and Sedgley rifles. But you should be able to make one from a standard rod.

J.B.