Default Bula Defense Systems rear lugged XM21

Bula Defense Systems rear lugged XM21

One of the 4 rear lugged XM21s I picked up over a year ago. This one sets in a Fajen NM walnut stock. After taking most of the last year messing with bolt rifles, it's time to get back to business with these. Mounted one of my very old Leupold 6.5 - 20 scopes with the target dot on QRW rings. Hung some new targets at 100 yds this morning, now it's raining again. Last time out this rifle was doing .75 moa for 10 shot groups. Loaded some 150 gn fb over 43.5 gn of Varget in precision prepped DAG cases out to the lands for single loading Whatta Hobby!

XM21 rear lug..jpgXM21 rear lug 1.jpgXM21 rear lug 2.jpgXM21 rear lug 3.jpg

There have been some questions as to what a rear lug actually is on an M-14 type rifle on other forums. I pulled one of my Bula Defense Systems rear lugged XM21 actions out of it's stock so I could show what a rear lug looks like. Doesn't improve accuracy, but does tend to extend the longevity of a bedding job. This lug is drilled and tapped for an anchor but I don't use them, at least not yet, but always a possibility in the future. Whatta Hobby!

Rear lugged XM21.jpgRear lugged XM21 1.jpglug 1.jpg

Very cool. FOUR?!?.... even cooler.

Is the lug cast (or forged?) during their manuf. or are they added?

I have one M1 with a rear lug added. The gunsmith used a welder with some pretty good qualifications. He even sent me his certifications and procedures for welding and after-weld treatments. I keep it screwed in the stock (glass bedded of course). About 1,100 rounds do date, and it seems as tight as when it was shipped to me.

Tommy

Not sure how they do it, but my guess is that the lug is forged as is the receiver and then added after initial machining and before heat treat. Whatta Hobby!

That makes sense, just wondering, here. THanks, and enjoy!
    Tommy