Default Swedish Mauser M 1896 out to 1,000 yards - Iron Sights

https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=StQ_AcgCnag

As some of you know Henry Chan does practical accuracy evaluations on military rifles. He shoots out to out to 500 yards for service rifles and 1,000 yards for sniper rifles. A perfect score, two hits on each target is 16 for service rifles. Before this evaluation the record holder was a Finnish Mosin-Nagant. This is a really impressive performance. If I were going to buy the best Mauser available I'd always thought it would be one of these...well this test only re-enforces my opinon.
    Last edited by Art; 12-24-2023 at 07:12.

Enjoyed the video . . . .Thanks!

My only rub on the M96 is the extremely long throat!

In fact, the reason I then bought the “purpose-built” (as opposed to the converted M96’s) M38 (Husqvarna) was to get the much shorter throat for the updated spitzer bullet. (I think it was called the M41 cartridge)

As an aside, I also bought the newer Winchester featherweight in 6.5 Swede. . . . .and was EXTREMELY disappointed!

I made up three gauges . . . .one for each rifle . . . . .

I found the M96 had the longest throat, as expected.

The M38 had the expected short throat.

BUT! . . . .

The Winchester had a throat that was shorter than the M96, but LONGER than the M38!!

Winchester dropped the ball on that one!
    Last edited by JimF; 12-29-2023 at 07:20. Reason: Trying for correct punctuation and model number correction!