Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Ebay intervened, based on the fact he sent me the wrong item.
    He sent me a return shipping label.
    Still awaiting delivery of the replacements! (groan)

2. Default

The "New" radio triggers arrived, finally.
    Yay they work!
    The red lights indicate a signal received from the transmitter, initiated by firing the camera shutter.
    It also confirms Sync.
    Godox CT-16 4 .jpg

- - - Updated - - -

first test.
    Godox CT-16 test 1 .jpg
    Now to build the lighting setup(s)
    I still have the photo-slaves so in theory I have an 8-light (No Idea why but if needed it can be done, I think) setup.

Glad you got it worked out to something usable.

My work with studio flash was generally pretty limited. I did find a surprising amount of image quality improvement by going to the umbrella based mono-lights system~ very nice and strong diffuse light with little effort. The built in incandescent key/set-up lights helped a lot. I also used a vivitar 285 for a back/hair light at 1/4 power an awful lot.

My photographic interests have changed quite a bit over the years, and I'm more drawn to natural light (which can be a real pain at times), and what I can do with it.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

4. Default

When I was working I had a 3-light "Multiblitz" setup from Germany, the whole thing went in a supplied suitcase. Similar to mono-lights. 3X 200 W/S units.
    Very handy for traveling location shots for the sports magazines, which we did a lot of. Way overkill for a home studio doing mostly firearms & table-tops though.
    I can easily add smallish umbrellas to these as the triggers all have a mount on the side too!

https://fk-secondhand.com/wp-content...ubehoer_01.jpg

5. Default

Latest from E-Pay.
    They absolutely will credit me for the wrong item shipped.
    any day now . . .
    Any Day now. . .
    Meanwhile I replaced them & ordered a couple of umbrellas.
    One arrived defective, the catch that holds it open disintegrated bits flew off across the room as I opened it for the first time.
    They're crediting, not replacing it.
    any day now . . .
    Any Day now. . .

6. Default

Credit issued today!
    Now I know how Odysseus felt when he finally landed on Ithaca.

7. Default

One of my other low paid models
    This one I call "Ole FugWit". He has a boozing issue

Fugwi 4 light 1.jpg

I didn't really need a 4-light setup for this but I was testing the strobes working together & the radio synch so I used everything. Its a variation on Kodak's old "Wrap-Round Lighting".

Fugwit 4 light.jpg

Jug is probably worth a bit if it's antique.
    My parents would sing "Little Brown Jug" with Dad on guitar/harmonica and Mom on accordion. They were actually pretty good, and could carry a tune.

Looks like a Sunpak green ring in the fore-ground. I used a similar set up with 3 lights- umbrellas high and low from left and right, and a smaller (285 at 1/16th power) as a back-kicker. Liked my rear light mounted low behind the subject for extra depth.

I should investigate back-drop paper and stands, if it hasn't gained too much price wise. There was a gray I liked that was very close to 18%.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

9. Default

The jug is far from an antique!
    "Platte Valley" is a bit of a gimmick, but legal "shine" & rather good too. Not "rotgut" but they trade on the reputation.

Background paper, "Thunder Grey"?

Mostly Sunpaks!
    "Main" is a 611.on 1/1
    "Wrap" is a 622 on 1/2
    "Hair" is a "383 Super" with the zoom head & bounce card on 1/2
    "Fill" is a Vivitar 5600 with zoom head on "W" with a home made bounce card. Good catch!

I also have a Vivitar 285HV, but that lives in the gadget bag as a the off camera flash for the Fuji FinePix S 9100.

I have this oddball grip bracket for it. I've never seen another like it! It has the usual "Vivitar flash bracket" look, but its a Sunpak & fitted with a ball & socket flash shoe! It lets me angle the 285 into "impossible" positions including macro! (the 9100 Has terrible low light~macro performance, one of its few weaknesses)

9100~285HV.jpg
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 02-16-2024 at 04:37.

Sunpak 3600 at left with Nikkormat FTN and Nikkor 50mm f1.4. It takes 6 AA batteries in the top of the head and has a guide number of 36.

Vivitar 283 at right on the F2 camera with 50mm f2 nikkor H via the AS-1 flash coupler. It's trigger voltage is awfully high at 300+ volts d.c.
    It has the filter diffuser holder, but no plates. Both flashes came in package deals with cameras.

The Sunpak was not very well thought out in terms of power, unless of course, one had an A/C adapter for it. It eats the double A's pretty quickly on full power manual. I actually sort of like it- the gold backed tube in it is a bit warmer than the Vivitar 285, which is similar in light out-put.

Nikon SB-22 here on the F2. Guide number is supposedly 28, but in actual use at full power manual, it's closer to 27, and a bit cold temperature wise. Certainly not a very photogenic flash- it's hard to get a decent photo of it with the red A/F sensor control cover taking up most of the front.

The studio lighting stuff is long gone. The big Bowens mono lights with their A/C power systems, modeling lights, umbrellas and stands made life easy and quick.
    Went with a couple of Metz 60 CT-2's when I got into the medium format/wedding stuff. The battery systems on them were not very reliable. I hear there's a lithium-ion replacement pack available for them now, but know even less about it.

The back-drop paper we used was actually a kodak made/marketed item, and was actually listed as medium grey. It was fairly neutral, and hair really stood out well in front of it.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 02-17-2024 at 12:44.