Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Techie question. (radio slaving strobes)

I finally gave up on optical "Slave Flash" triggers & am looking into radio units as an upgrade.
    Looking for user experience.
    I have basic requirements, no dedication, No TTL just Hot shoe.
    Equipment

Cameras
    Fuji Finepix S 7000
    Fuji Finepix S 9100

Lights
    Sunpak 622 auto
    (5v trigger)

Sunpak 611 auto
    (180v trigger via Wein safe Sync so 5v)

Vivitar285HV (new version)
    (6v trigger)

Sunpak auto super 383
    (6v trigger)

Vivitar 5600
    (6v trigger)

I'm looking for the ability to use up to 4 Units for mini home studio purposes. Maximum distances will be probably 50' so real long range is not a particular benefit
    Any reviews, based on actual experience preferably.
    Good & bad points please totally uncommitted at this point, but the "GoDox CT16" with 4 receivers seems to be leading the pack. Any experiences with that exact model?
    Sorry for the rubbish video image quality.

I'm having a hard time getting on here. Android phone based Google is the only way I can get the site to open.

As to the flash triggers I have no experience with the modern stuff. The built in optical slaves on the Bowens monolights always worked for me.

3. Default

I have 4 Wein optical slaves. I've used them for years.
    They're a lot more directional than I need now.

godox seem to be pretty good. there is also the vello freewave fusion (on BH Photo Video) but i dont have any experience with them

i had pocket wizards with my canon 580EX II but had to use an RF baggie (cotton sleeve with faraday coil wires inside) because the 580s had too much interference and they did not have much reliability. probably much better with the speedlites you have listed.

currently using the canon 600EX-RT with the dedicated canon 3st-rt (?) transmitter but obviously that wont work for your situation.

5. Default

Thanks. you may have made up my mind for me! The vello freewave fusion uses ALL "AAA" batteries. Both receiver & transmitter. The "GoDox CT16" with 4 receivers uses "AAA" for the receivers, but a 12V 23A lithium battery (Not included) for the transmitter.
    I've never seen such a battery locally.

6. Default

UPDATE!
    I've discovered the real problem with sync slaving a 285HV, (NOT a 285, this only applies to the newer units).
    Trigger voltage!
    Yep the old 180v units worked, & the optical slaves parasitically stole this from the sync contacts to power the units. (the HV The new ones easily ID'd as HVs & have the external power socket.) had that reduced drastically so as to not wreck modern flash sync solid state switches. Unfortunately they did it too well!
    The modern stuff is all geared to a 6v system, but they reduced it to a 4v trigger, less than the 5v threshold needed to trigger!

7. Default

Well, I found a deal on a set of 4, 16 channel "Tranceivers" yep they can be either, both, or switch to just a receiver.
    It also includes a different brand of dedicated transmitter & a single dedicated receiver. With the Chinese habit of co-branding one line through multiple brand names, all with both legit & not, clones & copies its claimed the transmitter will work all the receivers, so its a 5 light setup potentially! Not that I'd probably ever us it that way! (I like MAIN, FILL, HAIR (or BACK), with maybe a "shadow eliminator" on the background.
    They had decent reviews & as all i need is sync they're more than adequate.
    Fingers crossed.

8. Default

UPDATE!
    FAIL, Grr.
    It turns out they are dedicated (boy howdy are they ever) for Canon exclusively.
    Bummer they won't even wake up from battery saving mode on mine because they check for the camera being in focus before "waking up".
    Other than that they seem to be really nice, well made units.All are both transmitter and receiver. Because of that they can be a cordless cable release, a flash trigger or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Phloating Phlasher View Post
    UPDATE!
    FAIL, Grr.
    It turns out they are dedicated (boy howdy are they ever) for Canon exclusively.

That's too bad. Perhaps the seller would be willing to exchange for what you need on the camera side?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

10. Default

Oh, I do hope so.
    He doesn't accept returns, (or reply to messages either), but E-bay has a money back warranty. I want to give him a fair chance to reply first though. I think its more selling stuff he doesn't really understand than criminally defrauding.
    In the interim I've ordered a set I know will work & am waiting for them to arrive.
    Meanwhile a few images with the old optical slaves. They work, kinda-sorta. But I have now obtained a Vivitar 5600 which will work with them, unlike the 285HV.
    Nothing fancy just checking the lighting setup that will both work with optical slaves & look good with "Soft" & "Hard" images.

The long suffering stuffed penguin (It works fer cheap), sometimes with a grey rabbit. It's lit with
    Sunpak 611 with a little diffusion for main at 2 o'clock & 40? up as MAIN.
    Sunpak 622 (bounce diffusion) as "Fill" 8'o clock 30? at 1/2 power.
    Vivitar 5600 zoomed out to "tele" as a rim-light. Full power, 11 O'clock 80? up.

80 ISO 1 125@ f11.

In practice I'd drop the MAIN to 1/2 power, the Fill to 1/4 power to let the backlight "pop" a little more on the dark black "feathers".

The slaves I went with main & fill as above but moved slightly to kill reflections from the shiny plastic & polished metal

flash triggers.jpg

Penguin.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Note: sorry the "?" is a "degree" symbol, but the site doesn't seem to understand it.
    Click the thumbnails for bigger image
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 12-30-2023 at 03:25.