Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bleeding Ulcers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Update:

First off: I appreciate the kind words, suggestions, and comments.

Second: I would have updated sooner but had a setback yesterday. It appears everything stopped as quick as it started otherwise I wouldn't be here typing now.

W/O a bunch of unwanted detail like I stated in my op everything seems to be recovering. Do I think the Prilosec OTC made a difference? No, and certainly not that quick as it is time release, but perhaps my condition started because I had stopped taking it about 3 months ago. I have been taking this stuff for decades due to chronic heartburn (why I just happen to have it on hand). After giving up foods with gluten the heartburn went away and I stopped with the anti acids. Now I'm thinking my system may still be as acidic as before and the gluten may have been giving me an early indication of needing help. So, for now, back to regular dosage.

Strange
    go see a doc, re the Gluten

wife is Celiac/GF intolerant,

most with that condition also have something esle going on too, she has Sjogren's (SHOW-grins),

she was on a medication that was prescribed by her endocrine doc, (she had part of her thyroid removed a few years ago) to help with and prevent osteoporis and it was giving her severe heartburn,

while I doubt you have the osteo problem, the heartburn was a side effect, and you may have a similar side effect from something esle

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    go see a doc, re the Gluten

wife is Celiac/GF intolerant,

most with that condition also have something esle going on too, she has Sjogren's (SHOW-grins),

she was on a medication that was prescribed by her endocrine doc, (she had part of her thyroid removed a few years ago) to help with and prevent osteoporis and it was giving her severe heartburn,

while I doubt you have the osteo problem, the heartburn was a side effect, and you may have a similar side effect from something esle
    Actually I do have some osteo problems. Years ago I had problems, went to a GP doc in great pain. He prescribed ibuprofen (only). After 2 weeks the inflammation had resided some from taking the IBP but while in a lot of pain I went to a orthopedic surgeon doc I knew. He did x-rays and I was sent to the local hospital to have an MRI done. It turned out I had a pinched nerve due to calcium buildup in the C3 and C4 vertebra's (lower neck). He recommended me to a surgeon buddy of his for surgery. This last guy, who may have been a good doc, had the bedside manners of a outhouse rat. If you don't have confidence in someone you don't want to trust them with something like this. Meanwhile, a number of my co-workers had the same surgery. ALL of them ended up still in pain. Still having the same problems except worse. Some of them ended up walking around like Frankenstein while one ended up going out on permanent disability.

Currently, a former classmate of mine has been bed ridden for the past year from having this surgery. While the operation itself may have gone OK (who knows?) air got into his system during the surgery and now he is having blood clots as a result. He has been paralyzed for a year now. Death is his only and best reward now.

I decided to not have anything done and I know now I made the right decision. My only aftermath is a slight numbness in my right index (trigger) finger and like you said, maybe this along with the acid and gluten played a part. Thyroid was recently checked as OK.

So I do go to doctors but it is because of doctors that I am reluctant to go to doctors.
    Last edited by Allen; 12-11-2023 at 08:48.

Thank you for the briefing.

Back in the 1950's my father died as a side effect of surgery to deal with a dudenal ulcer. In those days, it was thought that ulcers were caused by stress. Many years later it was determined that they are caused by bacteria and in most cases are treated with two antibiotics. Too late for my father unfortunately.

Your case seems extreme. I had no idea that ulcers could cause a tear in the stomach

Glad to hear that you are mending

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    I had no idea that ulcers could cause a tear in the stomach

Glad to hear that you are mending
    Thanks Mark.

Some of what I posted is what I have been reading which states the tear is caused by acid burning through the stomach lining. Doctors normally prescribe antibiotics along with antiacid relief. Both of which I'm taking. I assumed the antibiotics were in case food and other stuff in the stomach existed through the opening into the body but what you listed may be the real reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Acidity is definialey one of the symptoms of gluten intolerance. Some of the meds I'm on now cause stomach acidity and Alka Seltzer has become my friend.
    Tums is OK too though relief is temporary. In a tight a pinch of baking soda in a glass of water works too.