Default Starting to reload

By the weekend I should have my first batch of 2,500 trimmed and ready to load. To do the rest I am going to have to do some things different. I load on an ancient 550B and have made some modifications to the machine to make it easier for me.
    First off was to switch out the spent primer cup with one that has a tube connected to the base and the cup is much larger than the one supplied by Dillon. The Dillon one would allow spent primers to escape, and I was constantly emptying the darn thing.
    The other thing was to add ball bearing rollers to the star to make the plate easier to turn and less powder spillage. These two are the only improvements that I have to the machine since I got it back in 86 and at least 1/2 million rounds done. All in all it has been a good machine and continues to give good service.
    The other thing I need is a thumb guard as my left thumb gets sore from reloading as I do. Now, I am also going to invest in a Lyman prep center to do the deburring to save me getting carpal tunnel syndrome. Open to any other suggestion.
    Sam

Blog Entries

I have a RCBS prep center and used it a few times,

realized I did not have to do that much and stopped using it,

did by a Dillon Trimmer, and it was horrible, so I bought a Gracey,

the Gracey and the Dillon primer pocket swager get the most use,

I don't shoot precision, so I don't do the primer pocket depth etc unless I see something that needs it

what makes your thumb hurt?

Wow! Need to contact Dillion! More than likely they'd want to feature that 555B on the cover of their magazine! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I have a RCBS prep center and used it a few times,

realized I did not have to do that much and stopped using it,

did by a Dillon Trimmer, and it was horrible, so I bought a Gracey,

the Gracey and the Dillon primer pocket swager get the most use,

I don't shoot precision, so I don't do the primer pocket depth etc unless I see something that needs it

what makes your thumb hurt?
    I push the star with it to advance to the next station.
    Sam

Blog Entries

maybe modify a finger picdk? or try taping a small L shaped metal or plastic bit to your thumb and use it?

6. Default

Back off the center bolt a "GBH" I tighten mine with 4 cases in the stations & rotate it as I adjust a LOONG "T Handle" hex key from the top. Gently rockng back & forth as I wiggle the shell holder. There's a "sweet spot" if you can find it.

I bought the roller bearing primer feed base plate, it makes a big difference.
    dillon primer feed upgrade.jpg
    Try a short length of aquarium hose push fitted over the Stars fingers. If you like it glue it in place.
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 12-05-2023 at 11:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Phloating Phlasher View Post
    Back off the center bolt a "GBH" I tighten mine with 4 cases in the stations & rotate it as I adjust a LOONG "T Handle" hex key from the top. Gently rockng back & forth as I wiggle the shell holder. There's a "sweet spot" if you can find it.

I bought the roller bearing primer feed base plate, it makes a big difference.
    dillon primer feed upgrade.jpg
    Try a short length of aquarium hose push fitted over the Stars fingers. If you like it glue it in place.
    +Interesting that you are using the ball handle, many years ago I opted for the roller handle as more comfortable for me. Mom and I are going to make a leather thimble to cushion the push. Tell me more about the primer feed system, why and how is it different.
    Sam

8. Default

I had the roller handles, both types the metal & the plastic.
    I gave the plastic away to my buddy when he bought my old 450b to upgrade his "tong tool", I couldn't get comfortable with either! Something about the angle of the handle on both that couldn't be adjusted away just didn't work for me. I still have the metal one, but never use it.

There's a longer wider plate that clamps under the primer feed bar. It has a roller bearing against the left side of the slide.
    It stops the underside of the primer bar from digging in from coil spring pressure from below & reduces friction against the left side wall.
    It actually made a big difference even though I was skeptical at first.

primr feed roller 1.jpg

primr feed roller 2.jpg
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 12-05-2023 at 02:11.

Blog Entries

I took the ball off my 550 and put on the metal roller,

then took the ball, shortened it a bit, and replaced the lever on my Co Ax,
    so the Co Ax now has a slightly longer lever, with a ball on the end vs the rubber cover it did,

I probably should have cut it a bit shorter, but the ball is more comfortable than the old rubber covered lever,