Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts from scope users.

Out shooting my Savage 110 .223 with my 30+ year old Leupold VX-III 6.5 - 20 at 100 yds. Supposed to be 1/4 moa clicks. Well, after the first target it was obvious that the settings needed 1 click up and 1 left to place shots in the X ring. Made adjustments accordingly and the results of target 2 have me thinking. Seems 1 click each moved the poi 1/2 moa in both directions. I know, after 30 years the scope should be replaced. Just hate to lose an old friend. I do remember I always left the settings the same for decades and did hold overs for poi. Either I go back to that, replace the scope or settle for 1/2 moa adjustments. Decisions, decisions. Seriously considering another Sightron with 1/10 moa clicks Whatta Hobby!

Scope adjustments..jpg

Scope change made all the difference in the world. 3 shots to sight in and we were off to the races with two different ammo hand loads. Mounted a Sightron 10-50x60 1/8 moa clicks off one of my rimfire rifles. Whatta Hobby!

Sightron.jpgSightron 1.jpgSightron 2.jpgSightron 3.jpg

Great shooting! . . . .

Glad to see there is another that shoots 10-shot groups (the old NRA standard) to prove the value of gun, ammo, and human!
    These guys that shoot 3 or 5-shot groups, tells me they are the newer generation, without gray hair!

I will confess, however, due to the high cost of components, I will shoot 5-shot groups . . . .SOMETIMES!!

I hear you. 10 shot groups actually prove something. I have worked on rifles for the last 60 years getting the first shot to agree with those that follow it. New gen 3 shot groups are a myth as to telling much about the system of rifle ammo and shooter.
    I usually shoot 50 to 100 shots per day out on my range. Today I was completing a project so I did not let the rain stop my efforts. Whatta Hobby!

Windage a problem? Use the adjustment in the base? Has worked well when using Redfield type rings/bases. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Windage a problem? Use the adjustment in the base? Has worked well when using Redfield type rings/bases. Sincerely. bruce.
    Not a windage or elevation problem except that it is doing 1/2 moa per click rather than the 1/4 it is supposed to. Whatta Hobby!

Blog Entries

you keeping it?

there are several places to send them to for work , including Leupold

Yes, I have decided to put it back on one of my silhouette rifles. 1/2 moa clicks are good enough. Haven't tested yet after running turrets full stop both directions. I am told that may put things back to 1/4 moa. Will see.

Decided to replace the Leupold with a Night Force Competition 15-55x52mm, should be here Tuesday. Leupold will be going on one of my silhouette rifles and the Sightron will go back on my Kimber 82G. Whatta Hobby!

I'm a hunter, and size and weight are more or less imperative.

Best scope to date is an older Vortex 3-12 X 42mm A/O with the objective adjustment at the front of the scope. I find it still a bit on the heavy side, especially for those longer "walk-em up" hikes. It does the job though, and retains a constant zero. No problems with it at all, and it still moves the p.o.i. 1/4 minute per click at a time off a stable rest. Most frequently used K/Z is a bit under a 1/2" dia., and I can usually make those from kneeling up to about 50 yds, which for me is good shooting.

My other favorite is an old 3/4" tube rimfire scope with the friction turrets- admittedly no clicks to count, but very easy to zero.
    I tend to stay away from 1st focal plane scopes (as a hunter again) because of the incredible shrinking reticle at wider views.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail