Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What state of readiness is your go to handgun ? ...

I ask because of all the tragedies I see in the news
    where kids of kindergarten age are shooting themselves
    or their siblings with their parents handgun. The gun in
    question was obviously in condition one - a careless and
    dangerous way to have it especially with safety off.
    How long does it take to cock a semi auto ? half a second ?
    If the gun was a revolver, I'm not sure a 2/4 year old
    could overcome the pull needed for a dbl action.
    Me? I've never had a semi in condition one except at the range.
    At home it's in #3 except mag is loaded but not quite in and
    safety is off. (I don't carry).
    How about you ?
    Last edited by dogtag; 11-24-2023 at 05:02.

Blog Entries

my Seecamp is usually in my front right pocket every day, round in chamber, ready to go,
    pocket holster of course

or a J frame,

I have larger handguns I put on my belt ocassionally, all are cocked and locked (1911) or round in chamber with hammer dropped , (SIG P228 or P6 or P220)

shotguns staged at home and at the shop, (a couple of Sig P226's too) for crowd control, pistols loaded and round in chamber, shotguns with loaded mag tubes, no round in chamber,

There are no kids living in our house right now.

Nightstand gun - S&W Model 28 fully loaded. Carry gun (back to revolvers mostly again) S&W Model 640 on a high self in the foyer closet. I carry it in a belt or pocket holster usually. When I carry an auto pistol its an HS 2000 (Springfield Armory XD before it was an XD) loaded with one in the chamber when I carry it, this one is always carried in a belt holster. When we leave the house everything I'm not carrying goes into the closet in the master bedroom which has solid door with a key lock and security hinges. the door to the bedroom is also key locked. When we're out of town everything except the gun I'm carrying goes into the safe in the locked closet in the locked bedroom which, by the way, has an alarm motion detector in it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    There are no kids living in our house right now.

Nightstand gun - S&W Model 28 fully loaded. Carry gun (back to revolvers mostly again) S&W Model 640 on a high self in the foyer closet. I carry it in a belt or pocket holster usually. When I carry an auto pistol its an HS 2000 (Springfield Armory XD before it was an XD) loaded with one in the chamber when I carry it, this one is always carried in a belt holster. When we leave the house everything I'm not carrying goes into the closet in the master bedroom which has solid door with a key lock and security hinges. the door to the bedroom is also key locked. When we're out of town everything except the gun I'm carrying goes into the safe in the locked closet in the locked bedroom which, by the way, has an alarm motion detector in it.
    solid points Art,

I have no kids., but did sweep the house when the Niece's or any other company visited,

everything but my daily carry went in the safes

now, wife and I are older, as are those that visit, so not so much in the safe, but we do have folks visit that understand and know what not to touch,

in my shop, you won't see a single loaded gun, but there are 5 here and there that I have access to ,,

I generally don't carry in the house at home, I tend to empty my pockets when I get home, but ,, there are things here and there,

and I am not generally paranoid, just like to be prepared

No kids in my house either nor do any visit.

I keep a few small SS revolvers scattered about loaded with 38+P loads. I have one 1911 in one of my cars. I generally don't carry one in my vehicles as I consider the car itself a weapon if needed.

SP101 357 Nite stand, MP EZ 9mm every day carry. All hollow points.

7. Default

No CCW yet-New Jersey. No kids in my 2 story row apartment, no do any visit. 1 entrance only-the front door. Rotate my "duty" guns, either a DA revolver with good 38s or an M1911 with hardball. My bedside gun loaded, if an SA semiauto, locked and loaded. .

Retired in May. Moved up to Atlanta. Normally always have a pistol loaded cond. 3 and ready to go. My precious grandson is walking distance away from our condo. When he comes in the house, no matter what, I want there to be not possible issues. He has autism, thank God not severe, but enough that we all have to pay attention. We have good security features in place to make it very very difficult to do anything with the front door. No back door. All but one window are on second floor level. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

No back doors on the condo's and apartments?

I thought it was an OSHA requirement long ago to have more than one ingress/egress in case of fire. I guess a window will count if it's on the lower level and large enough?

One thing on kids and security that made a huge impression on me. Many, many years ago my mother, told me that when she was a young woman she was visiting a friend who's husband was a cop. He came home while she was there, put his service revolver wherever he put it down after coming back to the house and his pre school son picked it up. The boy walked into the living room, pointed the revolver at my mom's mid section and announced "I'm gonna shoot you." The cop dad charged across the room grabbed the kid, snatched the gun away from him and hauled him into a bed room where he solidly and enthusiastically applied his "board of education" to the child's "seat of learning." My mom having heard the screaming on both ends told me "that boy probably didn't sit down for a while." I've never forgotten that story, or the fact that had it come to a different ending I may well not have been here.

Several times a year I'll hear a local, or at least area news story of a child whose found a gun not properly stored and shot someone with it. I resolved that weapon would not be mine. I also resolved that while I keep firearms accessible for self defense, I would do everything possible to make sure no one ever used one of my firearms to hold up a liquor store or "jack" a car.

Our daughter has a teen age son. Her home defense revolver, and her husband's P30 are in one of those quick open safes made for the purpose and bolted under a shelf in the bedroom. The shotguns and a rifle are in a safe in a locked closet.
    Last edited by Art; 11-25-2023 at 06:39.