Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was taught early on to never point a gun or weapon of any type at someone or any thing you did not want to kill. I don't remember the teachings but did handle loaded pistols at a very young age with no problems. I will not even take a gun into the same yard where one of my pets may be because they could always dart out in front if I were to shoot at a snake or something.

I taught my kids the same but as a safeguard I didn't tempt them with easy to reach, easy to find weapons.

Things are so different now. Kids videos involve shooting every thing in sight, Sex criminals can move into your neighborhood without you knowing about it. No one knows anyone now. There's unfairness and corruption at every corner of life. So many household have multiple guns making it more difficult to keep them hidden. So many carry in their vehicles now where previously there was no need to. My daughter carries a small alloy 38 in her purse (I think).

I go with an Ithaca Model 37, magazine loaded, chamber empty. I also have a loaded Colt New Service handy,

In Canada where I live, all handguns must be stored unloaded, trigger locked and locked in a gun locker or safe. Non restricted firearms (mostly meaning rifles and shotguns) must be stored unloaded and either trigger locked or locked in a gun safe or locker (I am somewhat paranoid and do both)

Essentially, unless you have one of the extremely rare "permits to carry" a firearm in Canada is simply not going to be available for self defence

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    One thing on kids and security that made a huge impression on me. Many, many years ago my mother, told me that when she was a young woman she was visiting a friend who's husband was a cop. He came home while she was there, put his service revolver wherever he put it down after coming back to the house and his pre school son picked it up. The boy walked into the living room, pointed the revolver at my mom's mid section and announced "I'm gonna shoot you." The cop dad charged across the room grabbed the kid, snatched the gun away from him and hauled him into a bed room where he solidly and enthusiastically applied his "board of education" to the child's "seat of learning." My mom having heard the screaming on both ends told me "that boy probably didn't sit down for a while." I've never forgotten that story, or the fact that had it come to a different ending I may well not have been here.

Several times a year I'll hear a local, or at least area news story of a child whose found a gun not properly stored and shot someone with it. I resolved that weapon would not be mine. I also resolved that while I keep firearms accessible for self defense, I would do everything possible to make sure no one ever used one of my firearms to hold up a liquor store or "jack" a car.

Our daughter has a teen age son. Her home defense revolver, and her husband's P30 are in one of those quick open safes made for the purpose and bolted under a shelf in the bedroom. The shotguns and a rifle are in a safe in a locked closet.
    I caught my share of the Belt of Education as a kid, but not for messing with firearms,
    we had a house full of them, no safe, and a garage full of them too,

I was told, and despite my youthfulness, listened to not touch, and didn't,
    and whilst in the garage then, was told to stay away from the bluing tanks, and did,

don't recall ever getting a whooping, or anything other than a firm don't go near or touch that,

lord knows I got my fair share of 'affimative correction' as a kid that I likely deserved, but not for that

Sig P220, condition one.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    In Canada where I live, all handguns must be stored unloaded, trigger locked and locked in a gun locker or safe. Non restricted firearms (mostly meaning rifles and shotguns) must be stored unloaded and either trigger locked or locked in a gun safe or locker (I am somewhat paranoid and do both)

Essentially, unless you have one of the extremely rare "permits to carry" a firearm in Canada is simply not going to be available for self defence
    Which means your government doesn't care a rap for your safety, and you can't change them.

I keep my Colt New Service (.45 Colt) on the bedside table and an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck leaning in the corner next to it.

Our three lines of defense are cameras, K9's, A1. Sigmund is a last resort.
    Sam

I can get mine back from the pawnshop any time, long as I pay the "interest."

Was not aware of this OSHA requirement. Our condominium is built on a hillside. It has three levels. We are on the second level with a concrete walkway straight in off the parking lot. Other than the ground level condos which have patios, all the of the condos have sliding glass doors that open onto balconies. Possibly this is why no one has a backdoor. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I wear my 45 auto 16/7/365 cocked and locked with one up the pipe.
    When the BLM came to town in Scottsdale and ransacked the Fashion Square and said they were coming through the hood, I had my AR out of the safe, loaded, cocked and locked.
    I have two CCW's... one from AZ and one for TX
    Never had a negligent discharge since 1965.