Default Ruger/Marlin M1894

Picked up a M1894 Marlin at LGS Tues. Finish is near as perfect as can be. Wood fit to metal is excellant. What a change from the Remlin days. Yes I'd say Marlin is back. 44 mag, action is smooth. Now to go to the range & see what it will do

Congrats. Keep us posted.

My brother has an old Marlin like yours. Made around 1970 or so still in new condition last time I saw it. My Dad had a 1894 Marlin in 25-20. Old gun with figured walnut stock and long barrel. We still have it somewhere. I have a Rossi '92 in 44 mag. SS but have never shot it.

I think Remington was already struggling when they took over Marlin. Glad to see someone else pick up the ball and run with it.

Marlin use to grind/sand the stock with the receiver attached so the fit would be perfect. Then they were separated and sent to be finished. Both pieces had serial numbers so they could be matched up after completion. Just like the bolts, if you buy a used Marlin stock it isn't going to fit like a glove because it wasn't mated to your receiver in the first place. Sometimes there's a sizable difference. How they made their other guns (other than lever actions) I donno.

I bring this up because of your mention of the fit. Ruger may be using old Marlin hand fitting methods?

I sold my 1970's Marlin on a whim and still kind of miss it. Way more accurate than the Winchester I once had.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

4. Default

Got traded out of my late 70s .357 but have a pre safety .44 I'll keep. For a 336 I prefer the Texan.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 11-24-2023 at 08:22.

I/d like to put a low end Leopold 1x5 with rings and mounts it would be pver $5oo. GOTTA THGINK THAT OVER!

Quote Originally Posted by kj47 View Post
    I/d like to put a low end Leopold 1x5 with rings and mounts it would be pver $5oo. GOTTA THGINK THAT OVER!
    I use to have a scope on my 336 but went back to the open factory sights. I shot much better with sights. The only thing I did was remove the front sight hood so the sun could glisten on the brass bead sight.

I feel your pain on quality optics.

Since these rifles are pretty much limited to around 100 yards a decent red dot sight might be a less expensive and lighter option. Skinner makes a "peep" sight that attaches to the rear screw holes in the top of the receiver. I do wish Ruger had gone back to the old Marlin practice of d&t ing the receiver for the good quality Lyman or Williams aperture sights. I had a Marlin 39M Carbine (since donated to my brother) I put a Williams Fool Proof sight on and it improved things a lot.

I ordered aVortec 1X4 crossfire 2 with rings & base from Midway. Total was $238. Good reviews on it. Thanks guys for the input. Can't wait to try it out.

I ordered aVortec 1X4 crossfire 2 with rings & base from Midway. Total was $238. Good reviews on it. Thanks guys for the input. Can't wait to try it out.
    After you install it observe the eye relief. The last scopes I bought were Leopold scopes due to the extended eye relief. I think they are listed as 4"-5".