Default Australian war memorial

I was in Oz last week or so, with my marching band. We played in the Adelaide Thanksgiving Parade (National Pharmacies Xmas Parade) and then had a few days in Melvin and Sidney. The Remembrance Memorial in Hyde park was just a couple blocks from our hotel. Of to the side was e memorial to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait men who served in both the Great War and WW II. I like the idea of giant .303 shells - I wonder if it was an Abo artist came up with the design.

jn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now if someone could just come up with a nice affordable bolt action rifle to handle those.

How do you suppose those giant shells would go over in the U.S.?

I bet they wouldn’t last 24 hours!

4. Default

We're going to need a bigger press!

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    How do you suppose those giant shells would go over in the U.S.?

I bet they wouldn’t last 24 hours!
    +1

I did a search on the title of the inscription - "Yininmadyemi" and the memorial came right up. It was designed by Tony Albert, an Aboriginal artist whose grandfather, Eddie Albert, served in Africa in WW II. " During his World War II service, Eddie was captured as a prisoner of war following battle in Libya. The story of Eddie's escape from an Italian POW camp, consequent recapture and survival after three of his fellow Allied soldiers were executed is expressed by the three fallen shells of the sculpture. "

That explains the three empties in the group of shells.

There was a design competition and this was the winner. I had to take pictures because I've never seen anything quite like it. Those some BIG shells, man!

jn