Default Setting dies for BTO.

In the process of changing bullets for one of my precision rifles. Savage Model 12 FVSS in .223. I am working at setting the seating die to provide a finished cartridge that will allow the ogive on the Berger 55 gn fb target bullet to just kiss the lands. Painstaking measuring and setting up can help produce the best results.

Step 1. Determine the exact BTO, Base to Ogive, for the particular rifle using a Hornady OAL guage and they exact type bullet that is being used. I like the curved gauge so it can be used on both semi auto and bolt rifles. Lock the length of the moveable bullet when it is touching the lands. Remove tool and bullet.

Step 2. Measure the BTO of the cartridge while still in the gauge.

Step 3. Measure the cartridge separately from the gauge and determine the exact BTO needed for this rifle.

Step 4. Set up micrometer seating die to measurements acquired previously. Usually takes a few tries to get it correct, by trial and error method.

Step 5. Load away and enjoy your time knowing you have done your best.

Whatta Hobby!

oal 1.jpgoal 2.jpgoal 3.jpgoal 4.jpgoal 5.jpg

As always a pleasure to read your post. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Good idea to keep a record of this measurement via your micrometer die set up. When you go to do this again, with this same bullet, just dial in the info to your seating die.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.