Thread: Late Winchester

Default Late Winchester

Local shop got in a very late Winchester Carbine, 7237XXX, and it appears to be factory marked as M1. Were they still making the M1 at this time, as the few I have seen were all M2 marked.

2. Default

The vast majority of Carbines in the 7 million range are M1 marked.
    Your posted number of 7237xxx is the first day or two of Winchesters 7 million block, which started on June 5th, 1945. The first group of M2's shipped by Winchester were invoiced the last week of June '45. Out of the approx 69000 Carbines made in the 7 million range, only 17500 were made as M2's.
    (Source is War Baby III, by Larry Ruth)

Thanks for the information. Appreciate that.

Several years back at a small gun show I ask to look at a Carbine laying on an individual's table. It was a late Winchester and marked M2. I advised the owner, who knew nothing about the M2 marking, and he pulled out the original paperwork from the NRA/DCM where the Carbine was purchased in the 1960's.

4. Default

Yep, and no doubt the Carbine was sold through DCM/NRA with only standard M1 trigger housing. Makes no sense but, ATF goes strictly by what the receiver says.
    I’ve seen several late Inland presentation Carbines in the XG block that were given to Inland’s management and subcontractors that were stamped M2, but were made up with standard M1 parts.

I once owned a M2 carbine with the selector switch. Sold it to a former trooper friend of mine for $60. That was in early '67.