Thread: sling bars?

Default sling bars?

Couple simple questions please??
    Do ALL carbines have the sling bars?
    And, I once had found on here the correct barrel dia at the muzzle of actual carbines, and it was smaller than cut down rifles. Anyone recall that?
    The reason I ask is I know a person has a model 1884 gun that has a "C" marked Buffington sight, and no sign of a cleaning rod. Yet the muzzle looks big and there is no sling bar?
    Any help is appreciated.

The barrel of a carbine at the muzzle will mike at .765. A carbine WILL have a sling bar and trap in butt for headless shell extractor and three piece rod. If stock looks like it had no rod groove look under band for wood splice. Check it and report back with results. Hope this helps.

Trevor,
    Thank you ever so much!! This is just what I was needing. I will go and check that gun out as soon as I can, and WILL report back.
    Regards and thanks again!!
    Brad

4. Default

Post Removed
    Last edited by Tom Doniphon; 11-14-2023 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    . . . . A carbine WILL have a sling bar and trap in butt for headless shell extractor and three piece rod. . . . . .
    Sling bar, yes, BUT . . . .
    Pre Model 1877 carbines had NO butt trap, and did have a stacking swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Sling bar, yes, BUT . . . .
    Pre Model 1877 carbines had NO butt trap, and did have a stacking swivel.
    The stacking swivel band was available but optional, supposedly at the troop commander level. Not all early carbines have them (16572 does not and never did). They leave little dings in the wood from being banged back and forth. If your gun has the swivel it should also have the dings. Mismatches indicate tomfoolery.

OK, checked this out again, now with a little more knowledge of what to look for.
    Both me and the man at the gun shop are pretty sure it is nothing more than a cut off rifle. The barrel is 22" but there is no front sight, just a small hole drilled to accept what might have been a simple post at one time? And it is too far back from the muzzle to have fit under the original sight.
    The muzzle is visabley larger in diameter than what my true carbine is at around .767.
    It does have a "C" marked Buffington rear sight. Perhaps changed due to different ballistics from a full length rifle to a cut down model??
    No sling bar, no cartouches of any kind I could see.
    But, no sign if a cleaning rod grove?
    I can see why they thought they had a true carbine. Were these done by the Gov't. or maybe a contractor??
    Thanks to all, regards.

Done by the gunsmith BUBBA. Nothing like that ever left Springfield in the day.

To quote from ?Trapdoor Springfield? by Waite & Ernst, page 195 . . . . .

?Springfield .45 caliber single-shot rifles and carbines were not again made available to civilians or rifle clubs until February 1921. At that time used but serviceable rifles and carbines were offered for $1.50 and $1.25, respectively. The carbines sold quite well, and to meet the continuing demand for that type of arm, Benicia Arsenal in Benicia, California, converted many rifles to the carbine pattern. All surplus Springfield rifles and carbines had been disposed of by 1939.?

Could be, you have one of these conversions with the front sight . . . .looking much like an ?03 front sight . . . .missing!

Thanks again to all. I appreciate it.