Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bought a 2016 LEAF. It was about one year old. Local car. My wife happily drove it all over creation without a care in the world. When we needed to make a road trip, I cranked up the gas car. When my job moved me, we sold it b/c we were no longer in a city. Sold it back to the dealer for $500 less than paid. Ran it a little over 12,000 miles. Never made any difference in our electric bill. Amazing. Net cost for owning and driving the car was the $500. No other expenses. If we ever again live in a city/urban area, we will certainly look real hard at at least a hybrid or full electric. Sincerely. bruce.
    Last edited by bruce; 11-12-2023 at 10:52.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Bought a 2016 LEAF. It was about one year old. Local car. My wife happily drove it all over creation without a care in the world. When we needed to make a road trip, I cranked up the gas car. When my job moved me, we sold it b/c we were no longer in a city. Sold it back to the dealer for $500 less than paid. Ran it a little over 12,000 miles. Never made any difference in our electric bill. Amazing. Net cost for owning and driving the car was the $500. No other expenses. If we ever again live in a city/urban area, we will certainly look real hard at least a hybrid or full electric. Sincerely. bruce.
    I think the timing worked out for you. You bought it used avoiding the depreciation and sold it back while the market was probably rising (on EV's). You didn't have any repairs or maintenance like tires. Most importantly, you didn't keep it long.

If I lived in a city (Lord help me) this is the route I would consider too.

3. Default

The EV batteries are just like all batteries. Each time it is charged it loses a small amount of capacity. Not covered by warranty unless something like in excess of 30% loss during warranty period.

Blog Entries

Had a people powered push mower, still do in the shed. Got stationed remote in Alaska. Wife and kids let the yards get ahead of them and couldn't mow. My father and neighbors told her to get a gas mower; she called and I said to get an electric. I didn't want her messing with the gass and oil in the garage plus pulling and pulling the starter.

She did, and bless her heart she put it together by herself and began mowing the yards. After 16 mo. I retired and came home. First weekend back my neighbor spent the whole time I mowed the front yard, trying to get his gas mower started. Gone thru 2 since 1984, always corded. Grandson hasn't learned yet the "finesse" of how to flip the cord out of the way for the next pass.

You could say the same about buying a diesel-powered vehicle used. As a snipe in the USCG I learned a lot about diesels, and especially that you have GOT to keep up on maintenance and that means by a mechanic technician who knows what they are doing. Buy new or don't buy at all.

jn

Something that faces all EV's sometime. Overall, they don't make batteries yet that last as long proportionally as long as a gas or diesel engine. Engines can be replaced with new, used, or reman units and for most makes are common and plentiful. Batteries need to be new and for EV's they will be dealer items for some time yet.

Then there's the actual motors, wiring and endless electrical gizmo's that can fail at any time w/o notice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We bought my wife's 2007 Prius new. It has close to 180,000 miles on it. Batteries are still good, hard to tell though. The 2nd gen Prius has been very reliable in taxi service. Bi8ggest problem we had was the coolant pump for the inverter went out on a road trip. That was almost $1,000.00; the car's warning system is kind of hyperactive and my wife was convinced I would burn down the car driving it 100 miles to the Spokane Toyota dealer's.

I probably could have fixed it myself if we were at home. A couple things I like about the car: gas mileage is still consistently 45 mpg. The energy savings is from the car generating electricity when it decelerates, instead of heating up the brakes. Other thing I like is max torque is at 0 RPM. The car is fast off the line. It acts like it has positraction, too. I have friends who drive these cars on snow and ice in the woods, just using tire chains. They do OK except for the ground clearance.

Last thing I like about the car is the seats are good.

jn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oscars View Post
    I bought an Eggo blower last year and regret it. Number one problem is the weight and balance. It weighs a bit over 11 lbs which double that of my Stihl. It is horribly uncomfortable to us with just one hand/arm.

I still run Stihl weed eater and leaf blower, and may buy another leaf blower this season (mine is a 90's vintage and just about worn out,)

re the EV cars,

I know a guy up in the Baltimore area that bought a new Tesla, it was a better deal for him than a used one, and he is happy so far, even tho he has to plan his day around a charging station, (he uses 110 drop cord at home)

and I worked with a guy that was looking for a used older Prius,, because he found out you can replace individual cells of the battery pack vs the entire battery, and the older hybids were cheap,

9. Default

Tesla says that their battery should maintain at least 70% of it charge capacity during the warranty period. It's a fact that the batteries degrade, and if the car doesn't self combust first, at some time the battery will have to be replaced.