Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It must take a lot of guts to buy a used Ev car ...

or a lack of brains. Talk about a Pig in a Poke, meaning
    the real possibility of hidden problems. The big concern
    would be the health of the battery among other things.
    How do you test it ? Under the hood is a mystery.
    Seeing as how you'd have to take out a mortgage in
    order to replace the battery, it's probably worth thinking
    about looking for a nice gas guzzler instead.
    "Better to buy a technology you know than one you don't "

dogtag, I would have to agree with you. The only test would be if the battery has a full charge or not. I don't think there is a way to determine the useful life it has remaining. That is unless you can say that the battery is good for a specific number of miles. Probably the same for the "motor."
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

On laptop computers the lithium battery can be checked as to how much life is left in it. Not amount of charge but actual life left.

I'm sure there's programs to check expensive EV batteries as well. Something else to consider is: less life = shorter driving distance and shorter intervals to recharge. So taking a trip would require more recharging stops.

Batteries are interesting. The old D and C alkaline batts were a big improvement over having a carbine lamp on your miners helment. The Ni-Cad came along which, hard to believe, was initially developed clear back in 1899. Lots of work went into improving them. Those were the batteries that we used in our early mirrorless cameras and lots of other devices. I had about fifteen of them on different chargers all the time. They were kind of a pain. Then came Nikel-metal-hydride(hydroxide) that we use now for all types of things. Cars ran on them too. Then Lithium. Some countries have rules about what and how many different kinds of batteries are allowed. I think there are some couontries that still use NIMH. Lithium is expensive.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    The Ni-Cad came along which, hard to believe, was initially developed clear back in 1899.
    My Dad served during WW2. He often spoke about the batteries the military used that had nickel plates and how long they lasted. He didn't elaborate on what they were used in.

I will never ever buy an EV auto of any make or model! I recently bought a battery powered string trimmer which does an excellent job and is lighter in weight than my cantankerous old gas trimmer. My 30 year old Husqvarna lawn mower is showing signs of discontent (major repair). Next Summer I will be looking at electric lawn mowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    I will never ever buy an EV auto of any make or model! I recently bought a battery powered string trimmer which does an excellent job and is lighter in weight than my cantankerous old gas trimmer. My 30 year old Husqvarna lawn mower is showing signs of discontent (major repair). Next Summer I will be looking at electric lawn mowers.
    I see a lot of batt push mowers for sale and a lot of used ones for sale on Craigslist. Fill in the blanks.

As far as riding mowers go I don't feel they are there yet. The zero batt powered mowers are expensive and so are the batteries.

It all depends upon how large your yard is and if you want to continue to mow it yourself. As stated before, I am turning to batt tools too but for the larger tougher jobs they fall behind gas and elec.

I see battery powered shop tools everywhere. It seems so handy. I finally bought a pair of Milwaukee drills. They are pretty light weight but came with batteries and one extra plus the charger. All for about $200.
    Watch out buying them piece by piece: The tool is $100, the battery is $100 and the charger will be around $80.
    Oh, and beware buying used. You might not be able to find those batteries. They change after a while. I think Ryobi is known for keeping batteries pretty standard.
    Last edited by dryheat; 11-12-2023 at 10:09.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Also avoid buying a number of different brands. DeWalt, Black & Decker (same company), Makita, Craftsman, Old Milwalki, Ryobi and others. The batteries should but don't interchange. Try to buy from one or two brands so you can use the same batt in multiple tools.

Personally I like DeWalt for the quality and Hart (Walmart) for the price. Both take diff batt's of course.
    Last edited by Allen; 11-12-2023 at 10:38.

10. Default

I bought an Eggo blower last year and regret it. Number one problem is the weight and balance. It weighs a bit over 11 lbs which double that of my Stihl. It is horribly uncomfortable to us with just one hand/arm.