Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ann Wilson deserves mention

The nice thing about a thread like this is you not only are reminded of really fine singers you've forgotten like Suzy Bogguss but also others you've heard of but never actually heard like Kate Bush. Speaking of this Bogguss song, I'm a sucker for a good Rodeo song.
    Last edited by Art; 11-09-2023 at 08:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    The nice thing about a thread like this is you not only are reminded of really fine singers you've forgotten like Suzy Bogguss
    My first introduction to her was off the "Common Thread" Eagles covers album, which really deserves mention.
    Her take on "Take It to The Limit" not only respected the original- she gave it some life that The Eagles couldn't on vocals.
    That album should be required listening for anyone- there's other female artists on there well worthy of note.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Most of the singers listed here, I have never heard of their names nor have I ever heard their songs.

Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Reba McEntire. Are 100X more talented!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Most of the singers listed here, I have never heard of their names nor have I ever heard their songs.

Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Reba McEntire. Are 100X more talented!
    not really,

but that is subjective,

I actually enjoy Portishead (lead singer is female, Beth Gibbons) and Bjork, but figured some here may not enjoy them

Blog Entries

Irving Berlin wrote a song a long time ago during the first world war, 1918, and it lay unpublished until a girl singer convinced him that she wanted to sing it. It became a big hit and rivals the National Anthem on popularity. Kate Smith sang "God Bless America" and the song is credited to her as her trademark song.

All the singers above came much later, but I'll bet everyone of them sang Kate Smith's song at one time or another. No matter who sings it, if it is sung seriously, I get goosebumps.

I'm old enough to remember hearing Kate Smith sing it on the tv.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Ella Fitzgerald, born in my city and just a couple of miles from where Wolfman Jack started his career...

Ahhh, Wolfman Jack. Used to listen to him in the evening on the radio as we cruised around town. The station was only available at night and came from a high powered transmitter.

Anne Murray is one of my favorites.
    You can never see too many Sun Rises nor enough Sun Sets.

10. Default

How can you know that if you've never heard them?