Default Case mouth deburring.

Had a friend visiting my shop, looking for information on the RCBS MatchMaster . While chatting about programming changes that are available on the device, I was getting some new brass ready to enter the system. Using a tool, I was deburring the case mouths inside and out before running them over an expander mandrel. My friend thought both the deburring and mandrel were not needed and that he had never done either after 30 years of reloading even on cases he had trimmed. His comment was the expander ball in the sizing die took care of both. No way. I showed him the difference, while bullet seating, using the different methods. He could feel the consistency of the properly prepped brass over the way he had done it for years. Ah yes, another convert. Neck tension is very important if you are looking to get precision from you loading. I love my Giraud trimmer and it has become part of brass prep during every loading. The Giraud in addition to trimming takes care of case mouth prep during the same action. Whatta Hobby!

Case mouth.jpg

This is what separates the “reloader” from the “handloader.”

In the automotive field, there are “mechanics” . . . .and then there are “parts replacers.”

Big difference!

Ain't it the truth. Takes all kinds to make a world.

Of all the deburring tools I have tried, none come close to the L. E. Wilson tool. I have a R.C.B.S. tool that came in a reloading set, and it was made by Wilson.

On anything other than new brass. I use a Giraud trimmer which trim and preps the case mouth at the same time. Trimmer is on the left and Giraud annealer on the right. Whatta Hobby!

Case trim and anneal..jpg
    Last edited by nf1e; 11-01-2023 at 02:08.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I posted on here years ago about the monadnock tool that cuts to length, deburrs ID and OD (chamfer) at the same time
    If some who can post a picture here, I will share the info with you. I'll send the picture and info so you can buy one. They are great tools. A lot of the NRA highpower shooters I used to shoot with used them. The guy that makes them is a competitor himself.
    email me back channel at cava3r4 at gmail.com and I'll email it to you.

The Giraud trimmer does exactly that and a great job of it. Whatta Hobby!