Default Saturday coffee Oct. 28

Winter is officially here - snowed all night which mostly melted. I just tossed last of the front yard leaves in the alley dumpster, so I'm ahead of the curve on that. Flop Ears and I didn't mess around too long this morning. She sniffed around a little, did her biz and right back to the truck. On the way home, saw one of our cops struggling to stay awake in his last half hour. He's probably glad he'll avoid all the slick street collisions day shift will see.

And it is a little slippery in spots, so now that I'm home that's where I'm staying! Put smoked turkey wings in the crock pot last night - they'll go in ravioli with white sauce for dinner. Wifey had all the stuff for chili setting out which will last her several days. None for me - I don't like onions! All the house mouse stuff is done - trash is out - dishes washed so the dog & I will be quiet while she sleeps in. SW

Snowed about 2" Thursday night and melted, then another 4" or so last night.
    This system rolled in off the northern Alberta foothills, and is moving east at a good clip.
    We may see some sunlight today, with a high of about 30f if we're lucky.
    Gonna hafta go to the local grocery for some stuff for lunch and supper- I have smoky dogs and freezer fries in mind.
    Will do a proper trip to 5 for 25 for the rest of it once the roads dry a little.
    There's a photo of the new snow in the photography thread here.
    I like the quiet of that last 1/2 hour before sunrise...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

^ When I was railroading, I always enjoyed the early dawn just as the sky was becoming grey in the east. Very peaceful... unless the cond was snoring too loudly. The peacefulness made plugging along @ 6 or 7 mph while dragging 19,000 tons up a grade almost bearable. I do NOT miss the same on snowy days. When (not if) wheels slipped on icy rail, software derated the horsepower to keep from tearing the train apart, and it wasn't uncommon to pull the same grades at 1 mph.

But now I can look out the window and smile at all the falling snow. SW

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/semi-tru...rail-1.6626939

Usual stuff going on here with first freeze-up.

Locomotive is a Winnipeg Water Works District engine for those that aren't aware of the strange abbreviation.

As an aside, the Springfield zone is bad for frost heaving- a couple of other derailments previously posted by me on the old board were in the same area.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

5. Default

Cleaning up the mess from yesterday's range trip.
    Whats needed upstairs is downstairs & voice versa!