Thread: Guns in Cars

Default Guns in Cars

I wrote about this once before but an incident happened in Houston which reinforced it in my mind.

I'll start by saying again that someone committing a crime using one of my firearms is worse than almost any other possibility.

Two young thugs who's specialty was breaking into cars were caught in the act by the law and apprehended after a foot pursuit. While they were running they were just molting guns, other stuff too but a bunch of guns they'd swiped from parked cars. Today firearms are one of the prime forms of "contraband" sought by thieves, and a car that for some reason looks especially like it could contain a gun are prime targets. Some folks just have a "car gun" they leave in their vehicle full time. Others, and I think this is what happens in most cases, are forced to leave their firearm in the car when they have to go to a place where guns aren't allowed such as bars, medical facilities, certain government offices etc. I have to leave my carry gun in the car in the frequent trips I have to make to medical practitioners these days. In those cases I try to valet park and lock my firearm in the glove box and to get back to the "Family Truckster" as soon as possible. This is obviously not a sure fire solution, but the only option other than going to these locations completely unarmed which isn't acceptable either.

So your options seem to be - carry in spite of the sign telling you that you're firearm isn't welcome here and risk arrest for "Firearms Trespass," secure the gun the best way you can in the vehicle and be away from the car the shortest time possible, or not carry when you're going to a location where you know carrying your self defense firearm is prohibited.

Obviously not drawing attention by having stuff like a "We don't call 911" bumper sticker on your car helps but sure isn't a guarantee.

its a dilemma .
    Last edited by Art; 10-27-2023 at 12:53. Reason: Typo, spelling

Perhaps a safer way is to be sure your doors are locked at all times, including while driving. I keep a S&W Airweight .38 Sp. With lasergrips in my console 24/7. If I'm in a big city I never park on a street, a drive way is better and my son (in a KC suburb) has lights on and cameras above above the garage doors.

I refrain putting NRA or other pro gun stickers on my windows or bumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    . . . . . . .

I refrain putting NRA or other pro gun stickers on my windows or bumpers.
    I’ve told this story before . . . .

Way back in the late 1950’s/early 60’s, in Norwalk, Conn., there was a couple of low-life’s who would spot a car with an NRA decal in the rear window.
    They would follow this car around until it pulled into a driveway and the driver got out and went into the house.
    Figuring there were firearms in that house, they came back a little later and . . . .sure ‘nuff . . . .burgled the house and stole some guns.

When finally caught, they explained their method to the LEO’s.

No “advertising” of any sort from me . . . .on my car or house windows!

Classic. That's how my friend and a couple of other folks got broke into at the gunshow. NRA sticker. I keep cheap pistols in the glove box (well, they used to be cheap). My CZ-52 will certainly shoot through any part of a car door. I keep earmuffs on the passenger seat all the time. Thinking safety (my hearing). Hardly anyone ever rides with me anyway. If I didn't have the guns in the cars I wouldn't worry about car theft. I don't want to lose the pistols.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Only leave my handgun in the car when and if I must enter a property where any firearm is prohibited by law. Otherwise, my handgun is where it belongs ... with me. That of course means I must give attention to not drawing attention to myself and my status. Of course, that starts by not labeling my vehicle to advertise my memberships/participation in marksmanship programs/organizations. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

6. Default

World wide auction house for farm and construction equipment does not allow firearms anywhere on their property-sign at gate. So I am going to drive X miles with cash or certified funds w/o a gun?

Never, ever advertise that you are affiliated with any gun club. My neighbors don't know I have firearms! No NRA decals, etc. any where on your property! If you have a concealed carry permit, always carry concealed!