Thread: LC brass

1. Default LC brass

How much variance has anyone found between different lots of LC? 5.56 or 7.62.

Before anyone answers your question I will add that I bought some once fired LC 50BMG (07) and found a few with splits at the neck. Upon reading, others had the same experiences. Apparently lots during this time had brass that was too hard.

Back when I used LC brass I found the .223 to be all over the place with variations of as much as 8 gns in a single lot. The LC 09 .308 was some of the crappiest brass I had ever used. If I got 3 loadings, that would be amazing. Head separations and neck splits showed up on the 2nd loading. Finally dumped the bunch and went on with better brass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Back when I used LC brass I found the .223 to be all over the place with variations of as much as 8 gns in a single lot. The LC 09 .308 was some of the crappiest brass I had ever used. If I got 3 loadings, that would be amazing. Head separations and neck splits showed up on the 2nd loading. Finally dumped the bunch and went on with better brass.
    was that the time frame Federal operated the plant?

That would have been 70s through early 2000s. I have no idea who ran things at that time.

Remember, some of this was MG fired and has to be treated according. Funny, in all my years I never got an incipient separation.
    Sam