Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The best vehicles for surviving Doomsday ...

Unless the "Doomsday" comes via an EMP in which
    case none of these will be operable.
    But my 56 year old Truck will be.

https://studyfinds.org/best-doomsday-vehicles/

My F-150 is 4x4. I have a Chev Kodiac with a lot of ground clearance. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
    Last edited by Allen; 10-22-2023 at 05:36.

My 99 Range Rover is 4x4 but if it has a computer gizmo
    somewhere in it's innards, it's going fry from an EMP.

The list contains the usual suspects.

We've owned Subarus for years and one of the reasons is emergency capability. One of the things important to us is mileage. If things get bad, and they can around here, you want to get as far as you can without having to refuel. Our 2019 Forester gets 32-35 mpg on the highway and 22-26 in town. It isn't quite as off road capable as some of the other options but it has kept me from getting stuck in the mud more than once, including a fishing trip where I got the front in sunk in mud up to the axel, I just put it in reverse and pulled out.

Subaru makes the Barbi Doll of automobiles. The accessories are endless. One thing we did with ours was replace the flimsy plastic engine under guard with a very solid official Subaru steel one. It was made back when we were on better terms with the Rooskies and says "Made in Russian Federation" on the label.
    Last edited by Art; 10-22-2023 at 07:10.

Vehicle? Naw! Sandbags, a lot of them! To take cover behind them and return fire! And, maybe a mule or two if needed for heavy loads.
    Last edited by Major Tom; 10-23-2023 at 04:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    The list contains the usual suspects.

We've owned Subarus for years and one of the reasons is emergency capability. One of the things important to us is mileage. If things get bad, and they can around here, you want to get as far as you can without having to refuel. Our 2019 Forester gets 32-35 mpg on the highway and 22-26 in town. It isn't quite as off road capable as some of the other options but it has kept me from getting stuck in the mud more than once, including a fishing trip where I got the front in sunk in mud up to the axel, I just put it in reverse and pulled out.

Subaru makes the Barbi Doll of automobiles. The accessories are endless. One thing we did with ours was replace the flimsy plastic engine under guard with a very solid official Subaru steel one. It was made back when we were on better terms with the Rooskies and says "Made in Russian Federation" on the label.
    Trouble is:
    It won't be going anywhere after an EMP fries it's computers.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    Trouble is:
    It won't be going anywhere after an EMP fries it's computers.
    Which of course is true of all of them if that happens. In fact if there is an EMP strike...well welcome to 1885.

8. Default

Let's see. Got a Cat RD-8, '67 Massey 135 HP Perkins, and a couple of 50s and 60 cars. Think the 1980 CJ-5 will run on an earlier ignition system.

M1,M1a,AR and 12 ga will all run post EMP, unlike the Smart Guns.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Let's see. Got a Cat RD-8, '67 Massey 135 HP Perkins, and a couple of 50s and 60 cars. Think the 1980 CJ-5 will run on an earlier ignition system.

M1,M1a,AR and 12 ga will all run post EMP, unlike the Smart Guns.
    As I've said many times here my esposita and I are natural disaster preppers, not Armageddon preppers, surviving long for me post Armageddon isn't going to be in the cards; but if that's on your mind, all kidding aside here is some stuff that has occurred to us especially if the disaster last more than a few months. After 6 months all bets are off:

Of course you won't be able to pump gas so you're going to need to stretch your supply and gasoline isn't forever even with fuel stabilization. Remember all the infrastructure is now electronic. Can't eat those guns and ammo so you'll need to either have a massive Armageddon prepper pantry or be ready to farm or both. Expect no food to be available in stores or warehouses after a few weeks. Like I said welcome to 1885. Once people start starving you'll need those guns and ammo to protect your stuff, and your skin.

What a lot of people don't realize about this catastrophic worst case situation is the need for a core group of really good trustworthy friends with skills. You do have to sleep sometimes and you'll need help protecting your stuff.

We have some friends out in the boonies of deep east Texas we'd probably flee to with everything useful we have (those friends with skills I mentioned) but I wouldn't be good for much for long without my cancer meds so that eventually is mostly to make sure my very spry wife would have a chance.....oh that reminds me, that prepper pantry had better have a good stash of your meds, especially if you're one of those like me who needs certain meds to keep breathing. If your meds have to be refrigerated, well, you're screwed in any long term grid down emergency.

This gal is a bit of a crank but she's got it right on the money here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J42CLa5iATM
    Last edited by Art; 10-23-2023 at 03:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Which of course is true of all of them if that happens. In fact if there is an EMP strike...well welcome to 1885.
    At the risk of being self-serving (which I am, of course) a couple of years ago I wrote a novel about what would happen if we got hit by an Electromagnetic Pulse and self-published it on Amazon. It's called "An Oral History of the Pulse" and is authored under my pen name of Marcus Powers. The problem with writing it was that the more that I researched the topic, the more frightened I got since it is a credible risk. The US government did a study of the issue a dozen years ago and found that if the North Koreans fired two nucs, 400 miles up, one over western New York and the other over Arizona, the pulse would take out the entire electrical grid in North America as well as any computer that wasn't shielded. They estimated about 100 million deaths, mostly from starvation. In that situation, the "preppers" would be the ones best able to survive