Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Couple Mausers ? Which to Glass?

I know ? a potential topic of blasphemy.

BUT I just can?t shoot irons anymore. Pretty much all I shoot has to have glass on it. I have many thousands of rounds of corrosive 8mm and only one bolt gun under glass, a Yugo M48 wi ZRAK ONM76B, basically I turned it into a clone of a Yugo Civil War, field-expedient sniper. Shoots GREAT.

I have a few semi auto 8mm's but I don't like to shoot corrosive out of them. I'd like to put together at least one other bolt gun to run the corrosive through. I'm considering putting a scope on a either a Czech BRNO 98/29 Persian Mauser, all matching in VG condition or a Yugo 24/47 also all matching in good condition. Both have mirror bright bores wi razor sharp lands

Question is, before I just drill & tap either I'm wondering if there was some kind of Sniper I could seek to clone. No, I'm not interested in scout mount scopes. Scoping the longer barreled Persian is intriguing and I already have that M48 Yugo scoped. Also, I already have a MINT museum piece 98/29 I got from Samco years ago (the ultimate wall hanger, safe queen). I'd have to get spare bolts for either and turn em down. Is there some pattern Persian that ever came with glass I could seek to clone?
    Last edited by GS455; 10-16-2023 at 09:07.
    ~~~ reinstate dodge-ball in primary school ~~~

I'd go with the M48. They are post WWII manufacture, well made, and many have seen little real use. They are also the least collectable. I know the M48 was the basis of the Yugoslav sniper rifle and has been used in that region up until the recent past and may still be in use.

Information on the M48 sniper rifles is available on line and a reasonably close clone should be an easy project.

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Art; 10-16-2023 at 08:10.

Blog Entries

do not alter the persian, they bring good money ,

the 48,, there are tons of them, but a nice one is still a nice 48

another option would be find one of many sported mausers, and shoot that

or find one of the no drill mounts (usually replaces the rear sight, without altering the rifle) and mount a scope or red dot that way

4. Default

I already did the M48. I am not going to mess with the 98/29 (heresy) . The 24/47 on the other hand ?

M48_SKS59-66 DMR Clones.jpg
    Last edited by GS455; 10-16-2023 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by GS455 View Post
    I already did the M48. I am not going to mess with the 98/29 (heresy) . The 24/47 on the other hand ?

M48_SKS59-66 DMR Clones.jpg
    Outstanding job on that M48. I don't know if you hunt but if that were mine it could become at least my backup big game rifle.

6. Default

I put a Huber adjustable 2-stage in her. Original 2nd stage pull weight on the military trigger was north of 6lbs. And I did NOT have to inlet the stock as may have been necessary. It's an absolute pleasure to run at the range .

7. Default

I’ll go with a scout set-up here on the Persian. The Bad Ace mount seems most common

https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...le-scope-mount

However, when it comes to scout scopes, I’m hoping BDC reticle with FFP. About the only thing I have turned up is the Hi-Lux LER 2X-7X with 308BDC reticle .

https://hi-luxoptics.com/products/hi...nt=36901033485

Should be, but I’m not a ballistics guy. How will the 308 BDC reticle serve with to use with 8mm? (out to 400yds) Are there any other LER, FFP, BDC scout scopes that could be appropriate for a 29” long, 8mm barrel such as the Persian 98/29 ?

8. Default

Got her back out today. Nice 61-degree break from the recent deep freeze. Using 1990’s 8mm Yugo M75 I was able to zero in with repeatable 2” (+/-) groups. Could stretch out to 400yd, 12” steel with ease. I moved over to 1956 Yugo M49 on stripper clips. Despite overall less than favorable reports, I loaded up on a healthy stash 15 years ago for just under .20cpr. I learned early on not to run this through my M76 nor any semiautos (another story) so I buried it. Unfortunately, during the 2010 Nashville floods it sat under water for almost 2 days. In recent years I’ve had good results with it through my only other scoped 8mm bolt gun, an M48 Balkan Civil War DMR clone under an ONM76B scope.

I tried it a few weeks ago through this Persian 98/29 and got almost 100% fail-to-fire. I broke down and cleaned the bolt (very dry old cosmoline crud in and about), installed a 22lb Wolff bolt spring and now I’m getting an acceptable light strike from only 1 in 20 rounds (+/-). 2nd strike always goes bang.

Here's what’s pretty killer: Without a single click adjustment to the scope my buddy and I were reliably able to whack that 12” plate, @ 400yds, time after time with pretty much 8 out 10 hit ratios. That’s 70 year old ammo though a 90 year old rifle !!! As another well known member on some other forums says: “whatta hobby” !

(Still hate shooting through an LER scope, although, it's bright and clear. Just a PITA to acquire sight pic.)

20231228_222306.jpg

That is one beautiful rifle. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by GS455 View Post
    However, when it comes to scout scopes, I?m hoping BDC reticle with FFP.

Should be, but I?m not a ballistics guy. How will the 308 BDC reticle serve with to use with 8mm? (out to 400yds) Are there any other LER, FFP, BDC scout scopes that could be appropriate for a 29? long, 8mm barrel such as the Persian 98/29 ?

In all fairness, they should be reasonably close, at least out to 100 or so.

I've learned to avoid caliber specific BDC reticles, as well as FFP. I can't imagine what that incredible shrinking reticle looks like on a LER. I generally prefer a mil-dot sighted in to a reasonable range, and then actually shoot at other ranges to get an idea of what's going on. Slow, but it works, and a lot less farting around with when it comes to field use at un-expected ranges.

I also find the marks in a BDC scope a little on the heavy/thick side, with most usually subtending about 4-6 m.o.a. or more. A fine cross haired mil-dot like what vortex offers in most of their scopes has become a favorite with me. Probably mostly useless personal info, except the bit on dot sizes, especially for shooting out to 400....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail