Default VFW rifle bolt problem

Hi, I'm restoring the last of our Honor Guard's 03's. Naturally poly'd and way in the back. The bolt was open and won't close. Rifle is a Rem. in the 3,400,000 range with a RA 5-42 bbl. Probably given to the post around 1946 when they only had 03's. No help from any current members. The bolt is marked peen and 7 (or N?) on top and 4 and maybe a tiny W (or triangle W) on bottom. Handle is slightly swept and finish is mostly worn blue (rest of rifle is grey park). It will almost close but the bolt will not move down. The bolt works in my own 03 of similar serial range and Rem. also. My rifle's bolt will work in this rifle also. I've compared both bolts and can't see a problem. No obstruction in the receiver or chamber. The bolt sleeve lock fits a little tight, but fits. If I back out the cocking piece a turn it closes, but that's no answer.
    The CMP is supposed to support us but my last emails have not been answered. Maybe they only work on M1's now. They have no 03 parts so any needs will be on me.
    Any help appreciated. Not in a hurry since we only use the 03's for the color guard.
    Thanks,
    Dave VFW post 4714

Blog Entries

PM sent

Your description suggests that the bolt sleeve lock is not completely releasing when the bolt is closed. The bolt sleeve lock is a small pin on the left side of the bolt sleeve with a beveled pointer that points forward. When the bolt is pushed fully forward, the beveled pointer is cammed inward by the left receiver wall to release the lock and allow the bolt handle to turn downward. I suggest that you examine this function and attempt to identify what is not working correctly.

Good Luck!

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    Your description suggests that the bolt sleeve lock is not completely releasing when the bolt is closed. The bolt sleeve lock is a small pin on the left side of the bolt sleeve with a beveled pointer that points forward. When the bolt is pushed fully forward, the beveled pointer is cammed inward by the left receiver wall to release the lock and allow the bolt handle to turn downward. I suggest that you examine this function and attempt to identify what is not working correctly.

Good Luck!

J.B.
    I'm with John. Also, is the cocking piece in the cocked ready to fire position?? if the bolt is disassembled with the striker in the fired (down) position and then re assembled without cocking the striker the bolt will not close. Been there done that. If that's the case rec-ocking, which is a pain will solve the problem. The bolt should be disassembled cocked with the safety in the middle position.