Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone here use sight paint?

I love my Tisas 1911 Service Model. The ringed hammer allows me to hold the grip high and not get my thumb web smashed! But the sights are a bit of trouble for my 78 year old eyes. I'd like to paint them so I can see them better but there are dozens of different paints, pens, etc. from $15- $54.

If you paint your sights, which paint is better?

Blog Entries

testors model paint from a hobby shop,

or if you want to paint them white, get a bottle of liquid paper,

3. Default

Whatever you use remember to put down a base white undercoat/primer first. Then I like the bright fluorescent colors for painting fishing floats.
    Top off with clear nail polish or "clear-coat" if you have some.

I haven't tried it but I have heard on several occasions the person used nail polish in the color of their choice.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

5. Default

Would nail polish remover harm bluing?

Nail polish is just a lacquer. Should do no more harm than any other type of paint.

Lyman sight black is great for front sights that have a high glare factory blued finish- which is the most common pistol sight problem for me.
    Marble's for years did a rear sight with a plain white line.

I tried replicating the S&W blaze orange front sight with testor's model paint, and it worked~ sort of. The advice above on clear coating for final finish becomes sort of moot for holstered guns.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 10-14-2023 at 07:32.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    Lyman sight black is great for front sights that have a high glare factory blued finish- which is the most common pistol sight problem for me.
    Marble's for years did a rear sight with a plain white line.

I tried replicating the S&W blaze orange front sight with testor's model paint, and it worked~ sort of. The advice above on clear coating for final finish becomes sort of moot for holstered guns.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    be careful with the spray on sight black, it will build up over time and make the sight bigger,

when I used Irons in Service Rifle, we just used to soot them up, which was sometimes a plastic spoon and a lighter

I always used acetylene smoke from a calcium carbide lamp... which has few applications for holster use. When shooting PPC, I re-blackened after every stage. SW

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    I always used acetylene smoke from a calcium carbide lamp... which has few applications for holster use. When shooting PPC, I re-blackened after every stage. SW
    I have a container of it somewhere and the lamps,

picked up an estate last year that had 3 big sealed cans off it,