Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Home Security Recommendations Wanted

Last night or early this morning some thieving SOBs hopped over the backyard wall and broke into my locked TuffShed. Apparently, they peered through the one shed window, liked what they saw and decided to steal some property. They got away with a DeWalt 10" miter saw, a M77 magnesium worm drive Skilsaw and a 20v cordless reciprocating saw. Another Dewalt 12" miter saw, a tool box, bicycle and some other gear was left behind. I have since boarded up the window so that one cannot see inside the shed and will be installing a couple heavy-duty, theft resistant hasps and padlocks on the shed door. My next door neighbor's outdoor shed was also broken into however, nothing was taken from it. I also plan on adding some additional outdoor lighting. Police report has been filed with local PD. Total value of property loss is probably not worth reporting on my homeowner's insurance policy given a large deductible. What I am interested in from you guys are some serious recommendations for a type of effective security system not only for the outdoor shed but, the house as well. I do have a big 125 lb male Labrador; unfortunately, he proved to be useless, and no doubt befriended the perps. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Some movement sensor lights. Maybe a more alert
    Mutt to keep lab company and bite thieve's ankles.
    On your door locks, replace the small screws with giant ones.
    Geese are great alerters.

Sounds like you're already heading in the right direction. There's just so much you can do. I would put up "beware of the dog" signs and "smile you're on camera" signs. They won't work on the previous thief but others might be frightened enough to pass over your home to someone else.

I know this is why you bought the shed in the first place but the more expensive tools might best be kept inside the house, at least for a while.

Thought about installing some up ended, spikes, 16d nails or 3" drywall screws embedded in construction adhesive to the top of the cinder block wall as a deterrent. Have seen this done in other countries I've visited; some use bits of broken glass and barbwire atop their block walls. Kinda worried about liability issues in doing so though.

Blog Entries

I use ARLO,

I have a few cameras set up at my shop, and they let me know what is around

neighbors cats alert the system

basically a camera that alerts me when something goes by,
    some outside,
    some inside

works well, and reasonable

I have not locked my house even when I was gone for a week in the past 5 years. It would not keep thieves from busting the rear patio door with a rock and walk in. My reloading stuff is in a small shed that has electricity and air conditioner, but no locks.
    Most of my guns are in a hidden safe at my sons house. I keep a old 12 gauge by my bed loaded with #8 birdshot.

If you are threatened you are living in the wrong place. My advice is GET OUT OF DODGE. Small towns dont have these problems.
    Last edited by RED; 10-12-2023 at 07:10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    I have not locked my house even when I was gone for a week in the past 5 years. It would not keep thieves from busting the rear patio door with a rock and walk in. My reloading stuff is in a small shed that has electricity and air conditioner, but no locks.
    Most of my guns are in a hidden safe at my sons house. I keep a old single shot 12 gauge by my bed loaded with #8 birdshot.

If you are threatened you are living in the wrong place. My advice is GET OUT OF DODGE. Small towns dont have these problems.
    both true, and not true,

small towns , at least those in some states, have meth problem worse than cities,

however, and I'll use me as an example, have a business that the avg joe does not know exist,

my high school buddy used to live down the road and they never locked a door,

some folks nearby do every night

I do, and been here for over 20 yrs , (lock car doors every day) and no issues
    neighbors, including some cops, have had cars broken into by the crackheads looking for change,

I have not,

simply cause I had that issue at our first house and learnt,,,,

These days small towns don't stay small.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Thought about installing some up ended, spikes, 16d nails or 3" drywall screws embedded in construction adhesive to the top of the cinder block wall as a deterrent. Have seen this done in other countries I've visited; some use bits of broken glass and barbwire atop their block walls. Kinda worried about liability issues in doing so though.
    DON'T as you will be opening yourself up to criminal charges if they get hurt robbing you. Signs are ineffective as they will just ignore them, therefore a waste of money. Motion sensor lights are good, if you will respond to them. However, animals will set them off, giving many false alarms. Cameras coving your perimeter are good, especially if attached to an alarm inside your home to warn you. Personally, I would set an electric animal fence INSIDE of your wall where the perp's will have to climb over it and can't be seen from the outside. I have one that is rated to repel a bear and is rated for 25 miles.
    Trick is to think like a crook and your local prosecutor as he/she is the one you will have to deal with if a crook is hurt in committing a crime. Sad world we now live in and will only get worse.
    Sam

Default Yes they d0!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    These days small towns don't stay small.
    When I graduated from high school in 1963 the population of Rogers, AR was about 5,500 people. Now it is 71,000.

In 2018 I moved into a small town in Northwest AR and bought a newly built 1,286 square foot in a town with 4,500 population. The appraised value after 5 years is up 50 percent more than I paid because people want out of big towns!