1. Default What dissolves old, dried Boiled Linseed Oil?

The real deal, "Stand Oil" not the "Home Improvement store" rubbish?
    I have a bottle of it but the "Adult Proof push down & twist" cap's internal part is glued to the bottle neck by dried oil.
    Any ideas?

Drill or cut a hole in the cap and pour the linseed oil into a different bottle or can.

I'm assuming the bottle has no collector value since it has a push and twist cap.

3. Default

If it is a plastic rig over a metal cap, pop the plastic off and apply a suitable application of Channellock pliers to the remaining metal cap.

Try soaking it in hot water before trying to remove the cap.

Channel locks yes. Big ones.
    I put the container in the vise. Tighten gently. Put the BIG channel locks on the plastic cap and turn. It'll come loose. Or do it old style; When the ketchup bottle cap was stuck my dad would run hot water over it and then tap the cap the handle end of a butter knife. That works too. Here in AZ after a couple of years the plastic cap gets so fragile it just falls off and then you don't have to deal with it any more.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

6. Default

Its a modern bottle, but glass. Because of that I'm avoiding honkin' big pliers & so on.
    Guess what I put on my "Thonkin cap".
    Dripped a little bore solvent in the inverted cap! Why? It removes stock finish!
    Badda Bing, Badda Boom! Thanks for the ideas guys.

Acetone will. Absolutely and in just seconds.

8. Default

But what will it do to the plastic cap components?

Who cares? It's plastic. Good riddance. Do your part. Take the crumbs to the recycling center. But Acetone, what is the result of spilling a spoonful of that awful chemical? BLO- do you know what the ramifications are of using that? You get pretty wood, but can you sleep at night? I can and so can 99.9% humans. The real problem is: there's too many people on Earth who have access to cool chemicals.
    So, what I'm saying is...
    Sorry Phloating Phlasher if I've derailed your post.
    It's always something: why do you have BLO in a glass container with a metal cap and a plastic cap? It doesn't compute. Correct me.

untitled-10-2.jpg
    Last edited by dryheat; 10-10-2023 at 09:38.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

10. Default

because that's the way it was packaged in the store where I bough it perhaps?
    Brownells use metal cans, Michaels used plastic adult proof plastic caps.