Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy

Default Colonoscopy

why.jpg
    Gotta get my 4-year next month. Pain in the ********* prep!
    Sam

I did it once. I don't like being unconscious. If I die I die.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Always wondered how someone chose that profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Always wondered how someone chose that profession.
    Big money in it and a lot of brainwashing by the medical industry so there's plenty of work for them.

I don't see why the same or better can't be done using an ultrasound.

I've had one of those about 10 years ago. Perfectly clean gut. Of course the real unpleasantness is the prep, sitting on the throne for most of the evening before isn't a blast.

I also avoid general anesthesia like the plague. Post anesthesia delirium is a thing and with old people can contribute do dementia.

Why they don't do something else....the contents of your gut get in the way of imaging so this is what you've got. There are other tests, including mail in ones to tell if you're a likely candidate that mostly test for hidden blood in the poop. If you notice dark blood in your stool (hemirroid blood is bright red) going to a doctor right now is a good idea; at that point, if you do have cancer, you're probably not actually fixable at that point. Bright red blood doesn't necessarily mean you're free and clear. it could be a problem lower down, but it is the usual reason for that red, red blood.

Gut cancer is insidious. We have a niece whose husband (he's about 70) was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. We saw him at our 50th anniversary and I said to myself, that guy looks like he has cancer. He told us he had been diagnosed with a chronic infection that he couldn't shake...well no. He has been told his cancer can be managed which means a lot of things but so far he's handled the chemo therapy ok.

I'm not going to have another one. I already have a cancer that can't be cured and if I were to develop something else I'd think seriously about going straight into pallative care.
    Last edited by Art; 10-06-2023 at 08:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Why they don't do something else....the contents of your gut get in the way of imaging so this is what you've got.
    I certainly don't dispute this but after all these years it seems to me a little research could have come up with something better. I mean, we have sonars that can map ocean floors miles deep, find ship wrecks and draw them out in detail. I know Davy Jones locker and human plumbing aren't the same thing but....

I base this on women having mammograms. As you know this is a highly recommended procedure where women get their boobs smashed/pressed out thin as to more easily detect anything strange going on.

If a lump is found the next step is an ultrasound so why not start there in the first place and spare the patients all the pain?

Something as big and unusual as a polyp in the intestine seems to me could be spotted more easily but I'm not a doctor.

Unfortunately most doctors in my area aren't either.

Having had colon rectal cancer stage 4 I have had this done to me many times. For an 8-month period, this was done every other month. What hurts is when the camera is turned around inside you and then slowly pulled out. I was awake the total time this was done, and it was not pleasant. For me the prep is the worst, not so much the scope.
    Sam

At least the cameras are small and advanced now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Having had colon rectal cancer stage 4 I have had this done to me many times. For an 8-month period, this was done every other month. What hurts is when the camera is turned around inside you and then slowly pulled out. I was awake the total time this was done, and it was not pleasant. For me the prep is the worst, not so much the scope.
    Sam
    You sound like my mother. She heard that rarely, people would have partial facial paralysis from novicane. She then stopped taking anesthia for dental work, yep, drill, pull or root canal she did it cold turkey. Of course she was from a different generation having been born in 1912. Her rancher wife mother once pulled one of her own teeth. My brother asked how she could do that to which she replied - you'd be surprised what you can do if it hurts enough.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Big money in it and a lot of brainwashing by the medical industry so there's plenty of work for them.
    Big money in dealing with all body parts rather than body's waste disposal unit.