Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M14 dry fire exercises.

Dry fire exercises have proven, to me, to be of great value. Breathing, position, sight picture, trigger control and follow through are easily accomplished indoors or out. Even though Marine Corps M-14 training was over half a century ago , I still practice often. No cost involved, but sure makes a difference when it comes to live fire range time. My estimate of dry fire to actual live is about 100 or more to 1. Whatta Hobby!

Dry fire practice..jpgDry fire practice 1.jpgDry fire practice 2.jpgDry fire practice 3.jpg

Not making much of an impact on that target though.

During my brief period of shooting Garand Matches dry more dry fire would have definitely improved my performance. So Allen is right, not much impact on the target at home but more satisfactory impact on the range, especially when they're keeping score! Who knows, it might have even improved my standing slow fire enough to get me past "Sharpshooter."

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Not making much of an impact on that target though.
    Gosh, I hope not although my eye staring at it might raise the temp just a little.

Elvis liked to shoot pistols indoors at his TV's. He didn't dry fire though.

All my dry firing is in the standing . Due to infirmities I can't shoot sitting or prone well anymore, but I can stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Elvis liked to shoot pistols indoors at his TV's. He didn't dry fire though.
    He could afford the TVs for practice. Few others are that flush.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    All my dry firing is in the standing . Due to infirmities I can't shoot sitting or prone well anymore, but I can stand.
    I wish I could still do offhand. Lost major use of the left arm from an accident years ago. Still try, but shakes like crazy, instantly, due to nerve damage.

Blog Entries

I need to do more,

esp with the bum knee,
    had a Master give me some tips last match on alternative positions for sitting, that I need to practice or rather try,

for offhand, I like an air rifle, I have a trap in the garage and a small gong in the back yard, that I need to use more often

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I need to do more,

esp with the bum knee,
    had a Master give me some tips last match on alternative positions for sitting, that I need to practice or rather try,

for offhand, I like an air rifle, I have a trap in the garage and a small gong in the back yard, that I need to use more often
    I have a Winchester BB rifle in the form of an M-14 that I do the same with. Much lighter but has basically the same sights for practice. Bought it years ago to kill a woodpecker that enjoys chopping on my house. Never did hit that darn bird, but got in plenty of trigger time.

ON dry firing my M1A should I remove the firing pin? Plan to do alot of practicing during the winter months. Just asking.