Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1 Carbine for Home Defence

My Inland carbine has been appropriated by my wife as her home defense gun. She's not a gun person nor is she terribly mechanical. As a result, while she has the "manual of arms" down she's way to slow to get on target and hit with the little rifle and it's obvious we're not going to have the range time to bring her up to snuff.

She and almost everyone else, can shoot well with a red dot. The video shows the solution we've come up with which does not involve permanently altering the gun (it can be returned to GI configuration with nothing more than an Allen wrench.) We've gone to the same solution in the video, same Ultimak rail but a Holosun red dot because she likes the reticle and I like the little solar panel and the "shake awake" feature.

https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoDyKsQbiLc
    Last edited by Art; 10-03-2023 at 10:14.

Upon reading numerous articles most state that the M1 carbine, 1911 (or similar), or a typical 18" (barrel) 12ga shotgun are the best for home defense.

With stronger caliber weapons you have the problem with bullet penetration along with the danger of passing into other rooms. The carbine is lightweight, simple and quick to aim. Though it lacks in power and range, in a home you are practically shooting point blank so..... and it does have 30cal knockdown power.

Red dot sights I feel would be a big help when shooting in the dark knowing it may be a matter of you hitting your target before the target hits you. In the assumed excitement of such an event you aren't going to waste time aiming otherwise.

Just to add, in home defense I would use sp or hp expanding bullets only.

3. Default

300 BO has similar power, wider selection of bullets and plentiful. Noisier plus you already have the M1.

Blog Entries

wife has a 38 J frame,

I have 2 18 or 20 inch shotguns stashed at the house

and 3 stashed at my shop, , + whatever my carry gun is,

buck, as in #4, and turkey loads, in some, others may have 00

either way, they are just in case and the farthest distance would likely be 20 or 25 feet,
    close enough that even if I used birdshot, the shot column would not break up much,

and I will be honest, and say there is a bando of 30 cal (as in 30.06) stashed as well, and either a garand or 03 can be found relatively easily nearby if needed,,,,

Friend was telling about someone he knew ended up going to a nursing home. Son and his girlfriend helped themselves to his guns. One was a Model 97 Winchester riot or trench gun. They proceeded to load it with 00 buckshot, racked one in the barrel and managed to fire it easing the hammer down. Went through the wall and into the neighbors house, but luckily no one in the room. In a house you can disable someone just as well with #6 shot as well as buckshot and not worry about over penetration.

I have this question regarding this issue. Why "let" an intruder this close? I am doing my best to secure my perimeter with electronic/animal detection. As soon as one hits my drive you are on one of my cameras. Come up the pathway and my motion detector lights kick on illuminating you. Come up my ramp and this alerts my two Wolf hybrid K9's. If you get past all this and into the door, I pity you. Wolf hybrids do not bark unless at play, they just jump and go for the jugular as you have threatened their pack and den. Otherwise, these animals are loving and playful. My largest one, Heidi, after the sniff test thinks you are there to play with her and she goes to get one of her toys.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    I have this question regarding this issue. Why "let" an intruder this close? I am doing my best to secure my perimeter with electronic/animal detection. As soon as one hits my drive you are on one of my cameras. Come up the pathway and my motion detector lights kick on illuminating you. Come up my ramp and this alerts my two Wolf hybrid K9's. If you get past all this and into the door, I pity you. Wolf hybrids do not bark unless at play, they just jump and go for the jugular as you have threatened their pack and den. Otherwise, these animals are loving and playful. My largest one, Heidi, after the sniff test thinks you are there to play with her and she goes to get one of her toys.
    Sam
    Hundreds of reasons why. A lot of people don't have large yards, fences, gates, camera's and even driveways. Some have dogs (cats will alert you too) but some dogs sleep soundly, some simply don't bark when they get older.

An intruder often breaks in while the owners are gone or sleeping. During cool or cold weather an outside watchdog bedded down for the night may not want to be disturbed and not respond.
    Having safety devices and security measures in place is always helpful but a person should not rely solely upon this. Someone breaking into an occupied house is usually a professional.

Additionally, the way our laws are, an intruder has the upper hand. You can't legally shoot someone in your yard, porch, patio, etc, even if they are trying to break in. Legally they have to break and ENTER and poise harm to those inside. You can scare them off before they get this far but if you have something they want they will be back possibly with help the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Hundreds of reasons why. A lot of people don't have large yards, fences, gates, camera's and even driveways. Some have dogs (cats will alert you too) but some dogs sleep soundly, some simply don't bark when they get older.

An intruder often breaks in while the owners are gone or sleeping. During cool or cold weather an outside watchdog bedded down for the night may not want to be disturbed and not respond.
    Having safety devices and security measures in place is always helpful but a person should not rely solely upon this. Someone breaking into an occupied house is usually a professional.

Additionally, the way our laws are, an intruder has the upper hand. You can't legally shoot someone in your yard, porch, patio, etc, even if they are trying to break in. Legally they have to break and ENTER and poise harm to those inside. You can scare them off before they get this far but if you have something they want they will be back possibly with help the next time.
    I have to agree with you, I am very fortunate to have what I have. All of my precious stuff is inside, not outside. I am rarely gone and then not for long. Our Pity hates to travel figuring he has to go to the vet, so Murphy stays home. Murphy will bark when someone would come to the house when my K9's are gone. Our daughter set up our system that alerts us on our phone if any camera is activated and our cameras have a speaker on them. I know one thing, there is no way that an intruder can outrun Heidi! My K9's sleep in our bedroom and will nudge my arm/face if something comes to either of their attention, their hearing is pretty darn good.
    Sam

What the old timers used back when most everyone had a farm or some land is Guineas. They will squawk and make noise about everything alerting the dogs way before the dogs hear things. You wouldn't hear the guineas inside but your dogs would.

Plus they are good for the gardens. They eat insects and the meat and eggs are good to eat as well.

Blog Entries

re the 00 buck and penetration,

not worried,

if someone decided to enter my shop with ill intent, the nearest house is thru a hedge row, and 30 yrds away, and even the, the garage is closest,
    house at the shop, where I keep another 12ga, is 40 or so yards away, and the neighbors house is not in the fire zone,,

at home, nearest is at least 50 yrds, maybe more, from the garage door, the house , where I will be, is farther away and elevated by a floor,