Thread: Longitude

Default Longitude

This book was a gift from a fellow member of this forum that I finally, after having misplaced it twice, got around to reading.

Excellent in depth book about the search for a reliable method of figuring longitude, an issue that was so important the Brit. government offered a reward of 20,000 pounds (about $5,770,000.00 today) to a person who could come up with a solution. It details the battle between two factions, the clockmakers, especially John Harrison, (1693-1776) and the astronomers headed up by Nevil Maskelyne (1732-1811.) The clockmakers, won out in the end with Harrison inventing the naval chronometer, a watch capable of keeping time on a moving ship to less than 4 seconds a day. The battle between the two groups, especially Harrison and Maskelyne was long and bitter.

The book is an excellent account of a critical but overlooked period in history and technology. It is said that the conquest and maintenance of the British Empire, while not absolutely dependent on the chronometer was greatly aided by it.

A very worthwhile read to anyone interested in maritime/naval history.
    Last edited by Art; 11-03-2023 at 05:27. Reason: Typo

2. Default

Great story and well told.

Was also a movie or maybe a documentary. Watched it years ago.

I heard of that story. I should dig into that. Sounds like the Edison- Tesla battle over AC/DC. Edison was smart but it turned out that Teslas A/C worked. Lots of things today work on D/C, like electric cars. Driving a car with a long cord attached to it isn't practical.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Driving a car with a long cord attached to it isn't practical.
    Driving a car with a battery for power isn't practical either.

Tesla had many more ideas floating around in his head but died too soon.

Longitude sounds a little too technical for me.
    Last edited by Allen; 11-02-2023 at 11:07.