Default Four years ago, this time

No one was offering firewood and now there is a glut on the market. Problem is that it is not properly seasoned. Some guys think that 6 months is good enough, it isn't. With our 4 stoves I do about 10 cords or more per season and I have a gadget that tells me what the moisture content is. I reject any load that I randomly check and if it is over 20% no go. Also, there are regulations on offering wood that is routinely ignored unless someone squawks.
    Sam

Burning unseasoned wood fouls up the flu with creosote.
    My wood is 2+ years old as I mainly use a Pellet stove.

I have some wood left over from a couple of season's ago that need split. We mainly use saw dust blocks with pellet starters. Cost is similar to wood and burns hotter and longer.
    Sam

Seasoned wood is hard to split. Best done when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    Yup . . . .

Green wood splits like glass! (Especially red oak)

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    Agree and it's far easier to cut when wet but with a gas powered wood splitter would it matter so much?

In a different day and age, I cut and split and sold enough firewood to pay most of my way through night college and then university. Graduated debt free. Used a 16 lb. sledge hammer, a couple of wedges and my much loved 4lb. Kelly Perfect True Temper axe. Still have the KP. Sharp as a razor. Have used it since to split wood for church members and family. Guess if I were now selling it, I'd worry about aging/drying, etc. However, most folks have just been happy to get wood that was delivered reasonably seasoned, cut, split, stacked for a price that didn't require a second-mortgage. I still don't mind splitting out a bunch of wood for someone. It helps them and for me, it brings back some good memories. Must say, green beats dry for splitting. And, a good quality powered splitter is really nice. But, if you got to get a tree out in the woods, best way is to go ahead and split it out then haul it. No trash to fiddle with. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."