1. Default Irwin Pedersen from estate how correct?

Review of a M1 Carbine from estate. How correct is this:
    Receiver- Irwin Pedersen 17719xx
    Bayonet Lug.band unmarked
    Barrel Underwood 2/43
    Flip rear sight marked S
    Front sight marked RIA
    Stock well marked IR OVER IP
    Stock marked on left side. RIA/UPJ
    Handguard marked RSG
    Operating handle marked IP
    Bolt lug marked. S?G?
    Flat bolt blue
    Mag release marked IP w
    Push safety
    Trigger guard. Marked. S?G?
    Magazine 15 rd. Marked K-IP
    DId not take trigger assembly or bolt apart
    Thanks for any assistance.
    Elmer

2. Default

The barrel date is correct for IP serial numbered receiver.
    The stock marking RIA is a rebuild from Rock Island Arsenal, as well as the front sight. Handguard is for a later S.G. or S'G'.
    Bayonet lug was added at rebuild.
    Any small parts marked S'G' could be correct......but keep in mind, most all of these small parts are also reproduced and sold regularly on the collecting market.
    Bottom line is, it's not a valuable collector piece. Just my opinion.

I stand to be corrected on the details of this.

Less than 4,000 Irwin-Pedersen receivers were made and none were accepted by the government. According to what I've seen, IP carbines you see today were assembled on receivers by other companies into complete carbines, mainly Saginaw Gear.

My understanding is any rifle built on an IP receiver is a valuable item. On line prices for rifles like yours run from $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 depending on a lot of factors, so not a kings ransom but definitely more valuable than an equivalent Inland or S'G for example. It's hard to hazard anything really specific on your rifle without pictures.

Again I'm no expert.

I'd leave it as it is and not go on a parts hunt, that's just me though.
    Last edited by Art; 09-27-2023 at 05:06.

4. Default

As Art mentions, without nice photographs of the entire Carbine, inside and out, one cannot place originality on anything other than the serial numbered receiver.
    After cancellation of IP's contract, Ordnance awarded Saginaw, IP's contracted serial number allotment. These were all built by Saginaw at their Saginaw Steering Gear Division plant in Grand Rapids (S'G').

Having gone through rebuild, in all probability the only original parts are the receiver and barrel, and IP's did use Underwood barrels. Anything else would be a rare happen chance. Not uncommon to see incomplete restorations which were begun, but never found the rest of the parts.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Having gone through rebuild, in all probability the only original parts are the receiver and barrel, and IP's did use Underwood barrels. Anything else would be a rare happen chance. Not uncommon to see incomplete restorations which were begun, but never found the rest of the parts.
    +1