Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why does it take 30 years to execute a murderer ? ...

If it'a case of appeals going on year after year, then it
    begs the question, who is paying these greedy lawyers ?
    The murderer isn't that's for sure which leaves you and
    me. This bloody nonsense should be ended. One appeal
    two at most. Lawyers presenting bogus reasons for appeals
    should get their arses kicked and fined big time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-Juli-Basken.

So the judges can do everything possible to release them.

They are still trying to free Scott Peterson.

Well it wasn't really 30 years. This was a "cold case" and the old boy wasn't actually convicted until 2006 so it was about 17 years actually from conviction to "the big shot." He complained about his lawyers which is pretty interesting since Oklahoma executes the highest number of people per capita in the US and his attorneys kept him alive for 17 years.

All in all it varies a lot by state. Some states like California and Pennsylvania have the death penalty on the books but have suspended its use so technically you could be sentenced to death but the sentence would never be carried out. Others move heaven and earth not to execute anybody. Ohio, for example, hasn't had an execution at all in six years and the average time from conviction to execution there is 21 years. I wouldn't hold my breath until the next one.

States that have the death penalty have an automatic appeal and usually the killer can't waive the appeal even if he wants to. How long it takes depends on how far up the ladder his/her lawyers can go and where they are in line on the court's docket. I can see how appealing to the state courts, the Federal District Courts, the Federal Circuit Courts up Supreme Court could easily take 20 years, if they're willing to listen to you, and that's assuming you don't get a re trial. A prisoner with name recognition a political following and top notch lawyers can drag things out a very long time. At the minimum, even if it doesn't go past the state level you're probably looking at 5 -7 years. In Texas the average time from conviction to execution is about 10 years.

As for Peterson, he's an infamous killer with a following, so yeah, somebodies always going to be trying to spring him. Since there is effectively no death penalty in California he's never going to be executed anyhow. I also don't expect him to get out of jail, infamy making it harder to get parole, just ask the Manson girls, though Van Houten was paroled this year after 50 + years in the slammer, and she's looked on as the most sympathetic of "Charlies Girls."
    Last edited by Art; 09-21-2023 at 05:02.

4. Default

There are some cases I would not want to be on the jury.

Having said that, there are some cases where the actual execution should take thirty years.

The problem is an outdated court system that is dis functional through out. in 2014 my neighbor bulldozed hundreds of trees over 26' high off his property onto mine. I sued and by 2018 I was out $16,000 of attorney fees, then a lawyer took the case on contingency basis. Here it is after all these years and the last action was on 28 August when the Judge denied another motion to dismiss.

The original suit was for $55k. Now it has grown to seek damage repair which would require the trees be removed and replaced with trees at least 16' high and kept alive for 3 years. A cost $3+ million.
    Last edited by RED; 09-21-2023 at 05:21.

Why does it take so long? Follow the money. There are only and handful of lawyers who represent death row inmates. Paid for by the taxpayers.

My favorite case was when the defense attorneys made a last ditch attempt to save their client from the death penalty. Their final appeal was "ineffective representation". They were such bad lawyers, they couldn't save their client. This appeal was kicked out/laughed out of court. Of course neither of these lawyers turned in their sheepskin when their client got his just reward.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I understand that it is cheaper to sentence someone to life in prison than it is to sentence them to death. This, of course, is due to the cost to the taxpayer of the appeal process. Given that it can take decades to complete the appeal process, the cost of keeping them in prison for that long is the same no matter what the sentence. The only additional cost is the cost of keeping them in prison for the rest of their lives and apparently that is a lot cheaper than the cost of the lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    I understand that it is cheaper to sentence someone to life in prison than it is to sentence them to death. This, of course, is due to the cost to the taxpayer of the appeal process. Given that it can take decades to complete the appeal process, the cost of keeping them in prison for that long is the same no matter what the sentence. The only additional cost is the cost of keeping them in prison for the rest of their lives and apparently that is a lot cheaper than the cost of the lawyers.
    yup, the cost of lawyers is in addition to the cost of keeping them locked up which is more than a guy doing life without parole since they are not in general population which requires more staff.

When I lived in Singapore, I tracked sentences through the newspaper -- just for something to do.

In Singapore, the average time from sentencing to execution is two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    When I lived in Singapore, I tracked sentences through the newspaper -- just for something to do.

In Singapore, the average time from sentencing to execution is two years.
    That sounds reasonable. Two years for additional evidence or witnesses to appear. Then: "Bang".