Thread: My Poly tech.

Default My Poly tech.

I bought this in 2006. It shot well but I was told it was junk and was gonna blow up in my face. So I sent it to a little known retired USMC armorer that had lost both legs under the knees in Vietnam.

He replaced the bolt with a Winchester M-4 bolt. I bought a Big Red stock from Fred, and a Sadlak titanium and a Super Sniper 10X and serialized rings.

The whole thing was put together and glass bedded in the Big Red.

Here it is:

IMG_7746.jpgIMG_7727.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RED; 09-18-2023 at 01:39.

Very nice. Bet she shoot well. Those chrome lined Chinese barrels were superb.

I've never owned an M14 clone but if I was going to back in the day a Polytech would have gotten some consideration. My understanding was the receivers were top of the line and the barrels, as nf1e says, were pretty darn good. Replacing the bolt seems to have been SOP on those rifles though.

Nice one Red, and + 1 on it surely being a fine shooter.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Art; 09-23-2023 at 09:45. Reason: Double post

the receivers are hammer forged on dies we sold to Taiwan or mainland China (i cant remember which) but youre right about changing the bolt. they were soft somehow and putting a new USGI bolt in its place was the thing to do. id like to get one or a Norco just to have a plain jane M14-type. i already have a lugged Fulton Armor match grade rifle...

I followed the wife's tales at the time and put TRW bolts in all of mine. Years later I sent a few Chinese bolts out for hardness testing/cross sectioning and there was noting wrong with them. That alone dispelled the soft rant that I fell for.