Default Has anyone had a car engine fire?

I?m asking this question here because I suspect we have over 50 percent veterans and most of us have the same ?veterans? insurance. My 2015 58k Volvo XC-70 had an engine fire which fortunate for my mobility impaired butt burned a hole in the coolant line which apparently put out the fire but it majorly damaged the engine. Anyway my ?veterans only? insurance company I?m not naming but you know who they are, is saying it?s a mechanical failure and they do not want to cover it. I would welcome your comments. I?m told what failed and spewed gasoline onto hot exhausts was the fuel pressure sensor.

I don't know for sure but there is something about going up steep grades that makes cars catch fire. We have a road that goes up to a nice mtn town. I'll bet there have been at least twenty cars and trucks catch fire on the hiway. I've seen two personally. The semis brakes catch on fire. The gas must roll back or spill out somewhere because of the angle. That is not my problem. If you can drive up a hill the auto should be built to handle that. Of course, taking it to the shop once in a while is a good idea.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

The car had its full inspection on June 30th with three pages of what they checked, $312 with new cabin air filter. Only negative was two high time tires. I was on level pavement on the Dallas North Tollway heading south when my AC started blowing warm air for 2-3 minutes then went back to cool. I believe that’s when the fire occurred. The tow truck guy says the engine compartment was full of gasoline and water (coolant I expect).

I lost a car due to an old cracked rubber fuel line that I knew to change out but didn't. One day the fuel line leaked and flooded the intake manifold, then caught fire. The car was a total loss.

State Farm Ins paid what Blue Book or comparable models sold for. I even negotiated with them a little.

Besides the required liability ins I have comprehensive ins on my policies with zero deductible. Since the fire was not due to a collision the comprehensive ins took effect and covered this.

I have collision ins on my policies too but only on the newer vehicles.

I know of two Ford LTD fires caused by a 3" piece of rubber that connected the fuel line to the carburetor. They got old and crumbled spraying gas on the engine. Really a bad idea.
    Last edited by dryheat; 09-19-2023 at 06:27.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

On a blue bird beautiful Sunday morning back about 1980, my wife and I were driving to church. We were on Carrolton Ave. in New Orleans about to pull up and park. For some reason, the car caught fire. I raised the hood and threw a blanket on the motor which killed the fire. After church, I found the problem was a broken rubber hose that went to the carburetor. I cut the broken end clean w/ my pocket knife, used the old clamp and reattached the hose. No damage to the car. We went to lunch. I picked up a new hose on the way home and fixed it that afternoon in the apartment parking lot. Never had anything like that ever happen again. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Griff, read the comprehensive coverage on your policy. Using the adjusters wording, the cause of the fire, being mechanical would not be covered. However under comprehensive coverage fire is a covered loss and the damage due to the fire would be covered. The cause being mechanical, that failed part would not be covered. Suggest you contact the company adjuster and confront him/her with the information you read in your policy and how you understand the coverage provided.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

The US started putting alcohol in their gas in the late 70's. Alcohol eats rubber and in 2005 a Bush made it a requirement. Thousands of cars, gasoline tractors, and boat motors were still using rubber hoses and rubber diaphragms in fuel pumps.

It was tried during the prohibition years and but it did not catch on for the above reasons.

I'm pretty sure Joe Biden has.

Had a older Dodge D100 pickup with the slant six backfired on me as I arrived at work one night. Smoke coming out from under the hood, popped the hood and the fire started up pretty good. Fortunately one of the security guards was johnny-on-the-spot with a fire extinguisher and put it out. Got it towed home, ripped out the melted fried stuff and got what I needed to fix it at the junk yard. Noo insurance involved.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!